A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 3rd December 2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
I am always humbled by the response to pleas for help on this forum, be it sympathy and empathy, detailed experience or offers of help with parts, suppliers or fixes. What’s an amazing bunch of people you are!

I think I now have a solution - parts from the wonderful MJ and an agreement to fit from my reasonably local Audi indy. And MJ is pulling the stops out to get the parts made up and delivered in time for fitting before the Xmas holidays.

Respect to you all - keep safe!
you obviously didnt read my post then Jim?
Seriously though, glad you have a way ahead
And its good news for us all that MJ is gradually working out ways to avoid the "killer" parts shortages that are threatening the life of our cars
Old 3rd December 2020, 01:31 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I did read your post David, but the thought of you raiding my S8 for parts was too horrendous to contemplate!
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 8th January 2021, 08:07 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Well, Michaela delivered all three pipes but I couldn’t get the car in to my Audi indy before new year. But, it’s done (the Audi indy took twice as long as MJ!) and my S8 now has an MOT.
It’s worth pointing out that my Audi indy was VERY impressed with the quality of of the remanufactured/refurbished PS pipes, particularly with the heat-shrinked covering of rust-prone parts. AND, MJ also provided detailed instructions of how to do the job, complete with warnings of vulnerable parts, which the mechanic found indispensable.
I’m so glad that I’m a good deal older than MJ - she will hopefully be there for me (and so many of us) long after I’m gone!
I have lost count of my thanks owed to this amazing person
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 8th January 2021, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
detailed instructions of how to do the job, complete with warnings of vulnerable parts, which the mechanic found indispensable.
Glad the notes were useful It would be a pretty horrible job if you don't know the tricks
Old 8th January 2021, 10:09 PM

That's really good news @The_Laird. Delighted for you

And very encouraging news @MJ that your future-proofing fix is a success. Very well done and appreciated!

2009 A8 4.2 FSi LWB - Marine Blue - 164k miles. Extras? Too many to list. But I do like the Rear Seat Entertainment . . . . . .

477k miles to the moon and back. 238k to go and between them they'll have made it!
Old 9th January 2021, 08:31 AM

Apologies everyone, I have been a little distracted this last couple of months and have only popped on here a handful of times recently. I completely missed all the updates on this post since the beginning of December.

It's good to hear the car is now back on the road with a fresh Mot. Well done MJ for the ingenious ps pipes solution. I have to admit though that I am having difficulty trying to understand fully if this is a total solution or are we still dependent on old hoses. By that I mean, is the clock still ticking on this one or are we now safe. If we run out of good old hoses, can we still manage?

The question is primarily generated because I don't understand which parts of the old hoses we are Re-using and how long we will be able to keep Re-using them. Sorry if that sounds a bit thick, I'm just trying to understand the options.

The Spectrum hoses are still available if anyone has the time, facilities and is aware enough of the risks to still want to give them a try. Drop me a PM and I am willing to donate them in return for feedback.

Cheers all, Frank.
Old 9th January 2021, 09:39 AM

I'm re-using the front pressure pipe, as that is the complicated bit and is normally recoverable. All it takes is to remove the old rusted union and then soak it in evaporust for a few days to clean it. Thus far I haven't found one of these which is not recoverable yet (done 4), but it is concievable that one may be too rusty to get back. In that case we have a plan to rebuild the hose, similar to spectrum but with crimps instead of olive fittings. We'll investigate that further if necessary.

The rear pressure hose is using the original rack end, but with new hose crimped on to it, and a 90 degree DIN 7631 M16 fitting crimped on the end of that, to join to the original front pressure hose. As we've replaced the hard line over the exhaust downpipe with hose, that's covered in some heat resistant sleeve to protect the hose.

The return line is just re-crimped with O-clamps as that is low pressure and its only the crimps which fail.

My process is entirely dependent on certain parts of the original hoses being intact hence why I'm doing them on exchange, but so is Spectrum's. Mine keeps more of the original construction intact though, and I certainly consider it a permanent solution within the remaining lifespan of the cars. I currently do have a slight issue sourcing the DIN 7631 fittings, as they are an old standard, but someone must make new ones for old equipment. If not though, we can make an adapter from old to new standards and just carry on with the same technique.
Old 1st May 2021, 12:52 AM

Hi all

I have just been reading back through this thread in order to refresh myself as to where we are at with it and a penny has just dropped. Yes, I realise it has taken its time to drop but I have never pretended to be the sharpest tool in the box.

Are we saying that the plastic liner inside the high pressure pipe that runs along rack (as in the picture) is not necessary?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210501-005012_Gallery.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	26283  
Old 1st May 2021, 08:28 AM

I have found that it doesn't make a significant difference. Gareth's '8 has a tiny bit of pump noise from time to time, but others I've fitted the replacement hose to have no noise at all, eg the barnfind.

What's interesting is that Essdaytwelve appears to have a plain hose in that position and does have noise from it. I wonder if it's because I'm keeping the rack-end fitting?
Old 22nd December 2021, 08:12 PM

Hi MJ. Just read through the complete thread having just encountered the same problem. My indy garage has been trying to obtain replacements but clearly they don't exist and AT say they don't ship to the UK. Forgive my ignorance but I'm just trying to get on the same page as everybody else. Although one pipe has emptied the fluid reservoir the garage is saying that both pipes are corroded. Before they do anymore to the car, and given the thread, are you still able/willing to refurbish the pipes if I can get them to you? If so what's needed. From the pictures the pipes need to be sent complete. You mention some instructions how to go about it, are these available to help the garage remove the existing pipes. Any help/advice will be appreciated. Alternatively I'll have to scrap it but hope not it's only done 125,00 miles. Actually like driving my D2 more than the D3. Thanks again.

Bought at 9 months old - Ming Blue 2001 (51) 2.8 Quattro Sport with Sat Nav. 122,000 miles