A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 9th January 2021, 10:25 PM

i was wondering how long it,d be before you figured out it was me
I have all bolts out it's the stub of the ball joint were it goes down into the strut (i didn't want to abuse it )
With Bang & Olufsen Advanced Sound System, Advanced Parking System, TV Analog/ Digital, Rear/Back Window blinds, Front and rear heated seats, Alcantara Roof, Extended leather Pack 2, Extended Aluminium pack, Carbon and Aluminium trim packs, RSE, PS2.
Daily driver
Audi A8 d4 2014 phantom black 3.0 tdi

Previously owned
Audi 80 1986 1.8 white
Audi 80 1990 2.0 red
Audi A4 1996 1.9 tdi green
Audi A6 1.9 tdi 2000 blue
Audi tt 225 2000 silver
Audi s8 d2 2002 fe grey
Audi a8 4.0 tdi d3 2006 black
Audi a8 3.0 tdi d3 2010 black
Old 10th January 2021, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S81 View Post
i was wondering how long it,d be before you figured out it was me
I have all bolts out it's the stub of the ball joint were it goes down into the strut (i didn't want to abuse it )
picture please.
Keith who lol
the ball joint should just come straight up out of the strut i have a ball joint separator if needed just let me know.

or get the persuader out never fails lol

Last edited by carmel120; 10th January 2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old 3rd April 2021, 07:42 PM

I'll go at replacing both side upper rear arms in the next week or so. Is there a PDF for the service procedure on this? Also, will I have to do the tracking after replacing these?
Old 6th April 2021, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdred View Post
I'll go at replacing both side upper rear arms in the next week or so. Is there a PDF for the service procedure on this? Also, will I have to do the tracking after replacing these?
I've found the Running Gear pdf - I must have skipped over it the first time I was downloading them. I've also ordered two bushings for either side rear arm - as they are a tenth of the price of a pair of new arms.
In videos I've seen of the process I saw the pressing out of the bushes done with a press - which I don't have - but I was presuming I could use a threaded bolt and washer/spacer arrangement to pull out the old bushing and pull in the new one? Has anyone done it this way?
Old 6th April 2021, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdred View Post
Has anyone done it this way?
Never done it but there are plenty of videos on YouTube showing it. I suspect the most difficult part is getting the new bushes to go in squarely without damaging them.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 22nd April 2021, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Never done it but there are plenty of videos on YouTube showing it. I suspect the most difficult part is getting the new bushes to go in squarely without damaging them.
I still haven't tackled this. The bushes are after arriving but I'm now after ordering the complete arms thinking I'll change the bushes on the arms I take out at my leisure (if it ever actually happens!) and have them ready for next time.
It all looks straightforward enough except for the part of torquing the bolts with the weight of the car on the suspension - has anyone any tips for this?
Old 23rd April 2021, 02:05 PM

Perhaps a jack under the hub and raising it slightly?
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 23rd April 2021, 03:09 PM

I put a couple of bolts in to the brake disc and lower it on to axle stands positioned under the hub of the disc. The suspension moves as the car is lowered so I'll lower halfway and give the stands a whack with a breaker bar to settle them, then lower the rest of the way and whack them again. When they go 'thunk' instead of 'clang' they are properly settled and won't move, then I'll go under and tighten the bolts.
Old 23rd April 2021, 03:19 PM

Thanks for the above replies. Do I need to disable Jacking Mode before lowering it onto axle stands, or/and will I need to calibrate the suspension afterwards?
Old 23rd April 2021, 04:01 PM

I think you'd need to disable it after loweing it on to the stands so that it settles at its normal ride height before you tighten the bolts.