A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 7th November 2022, 02:25 PM

Default Selling advice

Hi Guys

I bought a D2 S8 at the start of the year that had been off the road for 7 years with the intention of getting it going again and using it. As with most projects I have ran out of steam. It’s a 2002 model with 160k miles. It has a fully stamped book. I have replaced the fuel pump, battery, springs, refurbished the front callipers and it had had new discs and pads all round.

It still needs a good service and timing belt done for peace of mind. It runs and drives but can’t really go anywhere with it due to lack of mot. It also has a few warning lights on for ABS which I’m assuming is a rusty ABS ring and eml which Im unsure on the cause.

I am looking for advice on what you guys think the car is worth? I would add pictures but I’m not very good at the whole forum thing. 🤦🏼*♂️ any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Andy.
Old 7th November 2022, 03:08 PM

Hi Andy,
Its sort of hello and goodbye then
Pictures, build sticker and more pictures plus a VCDS scan if you can get that done are the only way you'll get a decent appraisal. Where are you? perhaps a forum member can help with a scan etc?
Old 7th November 2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey87 View Post
a few warning lights on for ABS which I’m assuming is a rusty ABS ring and eml which Im unsure on the cause.
Its never a rusty ABS ring. Usually a front wheel sensor or the G200 lateral acceleration sensor. EML could be anything from vacuum hoses to £

A rolling project is usually £1-2K at best. If it can't be properly driven to prove the gearbox works then you're looking at the bottom end of that, unless its a rare spec or colour.

However, a working FL2 S8 with MoT and documented new parts can be 4-6K depending on overall condition.

As David said, you need a VCDS scan as a priority so you can understand why its not happy and whether any of the issues are quick / simple. Some pictures will help a lot Several of us can look up the full spec from the reg.
Old 7th November 2022, 08:26 PM

Thanks for getting back to me guys. I am in Edinburgh if any one is able to lend a hand and read the car. I got hold of a friends OBDeleven reader and got the following codes earlier tonight -

Power supply terminal 30 - P1602 - static
Bank 1 and 2 secondary air system - P1423/P1411 - intermittent
crank pos. sensor - P1347 - intermittent

I have attached a link to some picture. I've never been able to post photos on forums. Get all mixed up with brackets and things 😂

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=share_link
Old 7th November 2022, 09:02 PM

Ok so those codes are fairly simple, at least for the engine anyway.

The T30 one is probably from the battery being disconnected so you can clear and ignore that.

The two secondary air codes are perished vacuum hoses - buy a couple of metres of 4mm braided vac hose and replace those one at a time.

The crank position sensor is simple enough to replace through the left front wheel well. 077905381G, or Bosch 0261210192, about £50. If that fails completely it'll stop the engine running.

You may still need VCDS to see what the ABS is reporting. Not sure whether OBDeleven can do that or not.

It looks quite smart from the pictures so I'd be inclined to fix the niggles and get an MoT on it as that will significantly increase its value.
Old 7th November 2022, 10:01 PM

I would love to get it finished but its more down to funds is I'm honest. Don't have the money to invest in it. Like you are saying I don't think it would take much to get in on the road. I also replaced one of the vacuum actuators on the front of the plenum.
Old 8th November 2022, 08:32 AM

Ming Blue! Same as mine just across the country in Helensburgh! And 20" wheels which I lack........ Whatever you do dont get rid of it without telling me first!
Are you in Haddington/North Berwick - i kind of recognise those houses!
Old 8th November 2022, 08:41 AM

Not far off so good effort. I’m very close to the Fort retail park. If you are interested in it let me know. It will need to go at somepoint. Not going to lie I have fallen in love with it so will be sad to see it go. Sounds amazing.
Old 8th November 2022, 08:59 AM

Is it a standard exhaust?
Old 8th November 2022, 09:20 AM

I don’t think so. I haven't had it on a ramp but from what I’ve seen it looks like a full system has been fitted at some point.