A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 29th October 2016, 11:39 AM

Default topping up transmission

just had the dreaded PRNDS for the first time ever ; living at altitude in southern france we still get warm sunny days at this time of year , but it means temperatures around zero overnight due to the clear blue skies ...and as I was out early in the morning I left the car out

as it happens the car is going to the local garage to check the differential levels on monday in case there is a seepage , so having a look at the 125 and cleaning the connection seems logical

but as it will be up on the ramp it occurred to me that it might be sensible to have the fluid level in the transmission checked , not that there seems to be a problem but who knows ? rebuilt transmission 25k ago from the audi agent

so is there any knack to this to tell my F*** trained mechanic ? ~I keep reading about correct temperatures and oil overflowing ?

suffice it to say that when I was at the audi agent yesterday [ was down to 1 key so had Ebays cut and went to have the set coded ....standard price in france to do the set €51 I was told ] I invested in a litre of ATF , €20 ; I liked the fact that the parts man wouldn't sell me anything until he checked against the VIN
Old 29th October 2016, 12:40 PM

Yes, there is a specific procedure. You need to start from cold so it'll have to stay there overnight for them to check the following morning. The temperatute has to be checked with VCDS. You also need a special filling tool as you have to pump the oil in from underneath. I use this:

With the engine running, watch the gear oil temperature in VCDS until it's at 30-35*C, then remove the large filling plug in the sump (17mm hex, not the small 6mm drain plug). Pump in oil until it overflows and wait for it to stop dripping, then put the plug back in. The oil temp mustn't go above 40* while filling. It'll cool down slightly as you add fresh oil.

Tbh if it was rebuilt only 25K ago and there are no visible leaks I'd be inclined to leave it alone for now and just check the F125.
Old 29th October 2016, 12:51 PM

See the attached ZF Spare Parts Catalogue - page 4/5 has the step by step for the filling procedure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 5HP24A.pdf (1.04 MB, 410 views)
Old 30th October 2016, 11:21 PM

Don't forget you need to run it through the gears to ensure the transmission is full of oil Mikki!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 31st October 2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27litres View Post
Don't forget you need to run it through the gears to ensure the transmission is full of oil Mikki!
The procedure I referenced/attached has the exact procedure including temps/gear change/hold time etcetc. Being ZFs procedure I would expect it to be the definitive guide.