A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Transmission

D3 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 9th September 2015, 10:25 AM

My Indie does remapping and has done quite a few A8s including my mates that is used as a business vehicle, mine is just a personal family use car.
On most he is able to do the remapping by plugging into the OBD/VCDS connector, but on mine and one other this failed to work and in both cases it was ECU out, opened up and set up on a bench rig. This happened with the replacement ECU as well. No explanation for the problem.
He gained a lot more expertise doing mine and was rather happy at the learning curve. I can't complain because as well as doing the second one free of charge he also refused payment for doing the first one. Result

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 18th September 2015, 09:45 PM

Just as a little update on this, we stuck a map on it a few days ago and (all other random electrical issues aside) the map has stopped the box hunting! Car feels much more eager to go now too. I need to try and find a local 4WD rolling road but at a guess it should be somewhere between 280-290bhp now. And only a little puff of smoke too on initial kickdown which is good. Not the kind of car that suits clouds of smoke coming out the back!

He's gone away in it for a week now so will get a proper report on economy. On the run to Santa Pod we did it it, it averaged about 38mpg. If the map pushes this north of 40 I'll be pleased.

Nice and easy, done through the diagnostic port. Definitely needed the battery stabiliser on it though. Should use one anyway no matter what but really wouldn't try and read on one of these without one. 15 minutes to read the ECU via the diagnostic port.

Last edited by tgm147; 18th September 2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 22nd September 2015, 09:05 PM

Gearbox of engine map?

Good news on it solving the hunting.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 24th September 2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottD3 View Post
Gearbox of engine map?

Good news on it solving the hunting.
Engine map dude. It looks like modifying the torque limits in the engine map have allowed it to hold the gear properly.

He's still on holiday in it until the weekend so will report back properly then if it's fixed it.
Old 24th September 2015, 08:36 PM

Thanks good news.

Hopefully it will solve it permanently.

I'll look in to maps.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 3rd April 2016, 11:16 AM

Epic thread bump.

The gearbox still appears to be fine. Under very, very light acceleration it does still try and hunt between gears but accelerating normally it changes smoothly and does not hunt when sat at 30mph.