A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 18th April 2017, 09:29 PM

Unhappy Manifold Flap Repair: Please Help - Car in Bits!

As some of you will already know, my car is currently at Vagtech while they try to undo some of the abuse the poor thing has seen at the hands of the previous owners.

While doing the carbon clean, they noticed one of the intake manifold flaps was broken and rattling around in the intake.

A flap repair has been mentioned a few times on this forum. Does anyone have any details of anyone who could repair them for me?

If they're anywhere near Milton Keynes, all the better. Sam at Vagtech is going to show it a local engineer, who we're hoping will be able to do it, but I'd really like some options in case the answer is no.

Help!

2008 Audi S8
Old 21st April 2017, 09:01 AM

I am in the process of developing a rebuild kit. This will take a few months at least given my current other (professional) projects. I'd say do a flap delete because that is free, and get a kit from me when done.
Old 21st April 2017, 10:12 AM

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=12128
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 21st April 2017, 03:21 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses

Marcin's guide was really tempting, but I know it would have bothered me, so I ended up buying a new intake. Having called around a number of different countries, I purchased it from Audi USA, saving me a considerable amount over the UK (and German) price.

VAGtech are going to begin putting my car back together now, so the last remaining part will be the new intake when it arrives.

I can't wait to get her back now!

2008 Audi S8
Old 22nd April 2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post

Marcin's guide was really tempting, but I know it would have bothered me, so I ended up buying a new intake. Having called around a number of different countries, I purchased it from Audi USA, saving me a considerable amount over the UK (and German) price.

VAGtech are going to begin putting my car back together now, so the last remaining part will be the new intake when it arrives.

I really admire and appreciate your attitude to OEM Tony, you cut no corners and want everything to be as it should, I applaud you

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 22nd April 2017, 08:43 PM

Aw shucks, thanks very much, I really appreciate you saying that. Now, do you think you could convince my bank manager of that too?!

2008 Audi S8
Old 23rd April 2017, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Tony View Post

Did they mark it as a gift or will you be having a nasty C&E bill before delivery?
Old 23rd April 2017, 08:41 AM

I didn't want to ask them to mark it as a gift or sample, just in case it came back to them - I don't want to burn my bridges for future sales. Instead, I asked them to value it using the weight of the material, rather than Audi's inflated retail price. I suggested $250 would be about right.

Hopefully, that means that even if Customs does pick it up, the VAT and import duty should be negligible. Funnily enough, I was researching dutiable imports and car parts wasn't on the list at all. Thinking back to my days working at a courier company, I remember we used to ship thousands of Land Rover parts to and from Japan - maybe that was why!

2008 Audi S8
Old 23rd April 2017, 10:25 AM

A few of us here have done carbon cleans on the v10 now. ( not me yet ) Is there a consensus for real before and after benefits. More than just peace of mind? And before and after data?
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 23rd April 2017, 11:23 AM

There's a video on YouTube showing an S8 with before and after dyno tests and the carbon clean showed an improvement.

https://youtu.be/7ohS1MGA26Q

From my research, the symptoms of an engine clogged with carbon are rough running when the engine is cold and reduced power. I was experiencing the first, but I have to confess I've not driven carbon-free S8s enough to know if I also suffered the second. I've always felt the engine had more to give though.

I didn't do a dyno test before it went in to have the clean. Even if I did, it would have been inconclusive because of the additional work being done to my engine. A colleague is an engineer and the very first time he saw my car, he told me there was something up with the intake. He listened to it and told me it sounds like it was sucking when it should have been blowing. It could be that the problems I've described were down to the broken intake flaps.

2008 Audi S8