A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 20th April 2017, 01:26 PM

Default Instrument Cluster Removal?

Hi all
Could anyone advise on removing the instrument cluster please? I need to send it off to get the LCD screens repaired (they pixelate when warm).
I only have the most basic of skills (like virtually none apart from turning a screwdriver!) and I was going to get my local garage to remove it, but then I saw the below video on youtube which, if it is indeed a similar procedure on an A8 (the video is an A4, I couldn't find a specific A8 one), even I should be able to manage it (and save a few quid in labour)!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYwNJxI3oxg
Is there anything I should know about removing an A8 cluster that may differ from the A4 before attempting this myself?
Many thanks in advance for any advice :-)
Old 20th April 2017, 02:03 PM

It's not the same on the '8, but it is very simple.

Steering column all the way out and down.

You need to remove the 2 rectangular rubber bungs to the lower edge of the cluster, which are obvious when you look for them. These cover screws, which then need to be removed.

Gently pull the cluster towards you (worth covering the steering column with a towel if you're ham-fisted)

If the cluster hasn't been removed before you may need a pair of side cutters to remove some cable ties holding wiring to the back of the cluster and impeding removal (most will have been removed at some point so probably not an issue)

Unclip the coloured levers on the wiring plugs and they will free off the plugs.

That's it!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 20th April 2017, 02:09 PM

Thanks a lot Adrian, I appreciate the instructions. It sounds simple enough even for me to be able to manage. What could possibly go wrong! ;-)
Old 20th April 2017, 02:30 PM

It's worth having a spare set of eyes with a torch who can take a peek at the back as you're sliding it out, and deal with the wiring removal side while you support it

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 20th April 2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Gently pull the cluster towards you (worth covering the steering column with a towel if you're ham-fisted)
I'll second this. Its very easy to damage the column cover while you're distracted round the back of the cluster with the plugs.
Old 23rd April 2017, 10:48 AM

Thanks again. I had a go, but fell at the very first hurdle! Steering wheel all the way out and down fine, but just cannot see two rubber bungs anywhere [feeling very stupid]
Can anyone please point me in the right direct direction??
Do I need to take the plastic centre section off first? If so how do I do that? I tried giving it a gentle pull in case it would easily pop off but it didn't and I didn't want to break it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5261.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	15946  

Last edited by triumph2.5pi; 23rd April 2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 23rd April 2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph2.5pi View Post
Thanks again. I had a go, but fell at the very first hurdle! Steering wheel all the way out and down fine, but just cannot see two rubber bungs anywhere [feeling very stupid]
Can anyone please point me in the right direct direction??
Do I need to take the plastic centre section off first? If so how do I do that? I tried giving it a gentle pull in case it would easily pop off but it didn't and I didn't want to break it!
It's easy, if I can do it, anyone can!

See those rectangular serated bits to the left and right of the buttons on the bottom edge of the cluster, they pop out with a small flat edged tool or screwdriver, you'll find the screws beneath them

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 23rd April 2017, 11:53 AM

Found 'em and mission complete!! Thanks so much for all the help, much appreciated!
It did have some cable ties that I had to snip. Are they essential when refitting?
Old 23rd April 2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumph2.5pi View Post
Found 'em and mission complete!! Thanks so much for all the help, much appreciated!
It did have some cable ties that I had to snip. Are they essential when refitting?
No, they're just part of the assembly process, they serve no purpose other than keeping the wires tidy, so no need to replace them

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 28th April 2017, 12:10 PM

Oh dear, disappointing news from BBA Reman - they diagnosed a fault, but say it is not repairable They waived the test fee and are sending the unit back free of charge, which is good of them.

Could anyone advise if I have any options from here please? What if I bought a whole used instrument cluster (there's one on eBay for about £50) to replace the existing one. Could the mileage on that cluster then be reprogrammed to match the old one? Is there anything I would need to know in order to make this work? Would a replacement cluster even work at all? Thanks :-)