A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Interior Electrics

D2 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 5th August 2017, 06:56 AM

Sorry Andrew about late reply.

Quote:
VCDS scan failed on the HVAC module, too many communication errors.
Same here, it seems that it does not like low voltage as it's fine when engine is running or charger connected to battery.

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear how Ainars got on when he did it.
It was a couple of years back so do not remember all the details but like everybody else said - rusted bolts and poor access.

Mine had commutator worn on one side so if it would stop with in a position where brush was touching worn bit it would not start again. Driving along it would move a bit either from vibration or air being forced through it by speed and start working again. Once it has started moving the momentum would get it past worn bit and continue to run but at lower speed as the part of turning angle there would be no current going through it. As the time went by the worn bit was getting bigger, speed slower and possibility of it restarting lesser. I am not a gambling man but considering your car has solar sunroof I would bet that it is blower motor that has worn out.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 5th August 2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I am not a gambling man but considering your car has solar sunroof I would bet that it is blower motor that has worn out.
Nor me, and I initially thought the same, but the evidence does somewhat point away from that. Not least because disturbing the connectors in the air intake plenum has effects.

For example, at the moment it is ticking over slowly with an overcast sky, no direct sun. Not been used for a couple of days.
If it was worn similar to yours I would expect it to stop on the worn section and not restart (especially with a low voltage solar input) without being disturbed, but mine seems different. Hence my suspicions of connectors/wires and damp/movement/temperature or similar factors.

I'm collecting a few cheap bits and pieces to enable me to diagnose it better. The whole lot will cost less than an hours labour at a garage so worth trying.

I've also been using the "REST" function as a handy test and noticed something about that; it limits the fan speed to 1, 2 or 3 bars only.
(I've never, ever used it and have anyway disconnected the auxiliary coolant pump)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 5th August 2017 at 09:35 AM.
Old 7th August 2017, 01:16 PM

Default For what it's worth

I had a not too dissimilar experience with my blower motor. My car has the solar panel sunroof and has had the REST function disabled for 2-3 years after it started making the usual groaning noises. The blower motor started to operate in a rather feeble fashion about a week or two before it seemed to give up the ghost. I did jiggle the electrical connectors which had a small effect on the fan/blower rotation speed but nothing of any real substance. My fan/blower also occasionally demonstrated the same behaviour reported by Dezzy, in that the speed increased when turning corners.

The fan itself gave out eventually so I replaced it with a unit from our beloved forum's sponsors. I asked for a unit to be supplied from a non-solar panel equipped car, for obvious reasons. I would tend to agree with Ainars that it's probably going to be worth replacing the unit. I was told at the time that the fan/blower on solar roof-equipped cars always tend to stop working. I did inspect both units at the time and couldn't see a massive difference on the copper ring that is split into multiple sections (commutator.) I assumed therefore that the fan/blower had burnt out the brushes rather than the commutator.
Old 14th August 2017, 01:36 PM

A watched kettle and all that..... No problems whatsoever over the last few days. It knows I have all the bits now to investigate.

Currently I have two 4.2 V8 Audis on my drive with ventilation fans ticking over smoothly driven by a solar sunroof despite it being hazy/cloudy.
(My son's S4 is parked with us for a couple of weeks while he has some scaffolding on his house blocking the drive.)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 18th October 2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
A watched kettle and all that..... No problems whatsoever over the last few days. It knows I have all the bits now to investigate.
And still working fine 2 months later.
Old 10th November 2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
VCDS scan failed on the HVAC module, too many communication errors.
Having recently acquired a pukka HEX-CAN USB lead (thanks Richardracer ) I finally got round to doing a scan today; this lead talks happily to all the modules.

I finally got something out of the HVAC: 01273 - Fresh Air Blower (V2) 17-10 - Control Difference - Intermittent

So, I cleared that code and will check again after a few trips; it's all working fine at present though.

The Ross-Tech wiki suggests that could be fuses, wiring, the blower or controller. No **** Sherlock!
Old 11th January 2018, 04:52 PM

Just a little update on this after another 2 months.
I did a VCDS scan this week, all clean as a whistle (apart from the inevitable low voltage alarm battery..) and the fan has behaved impeccably.

So I'm still thinking wiring/connectors.
As Mark actually suggested way back in July, in post #5 of this thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Might just be corroded connections at the blower end.

Last edited by HPsauce; 13th January 2018 at 01:18 PM.
Old 23rd October 2018, 05:02 PM

Oh dear, it's packed up again today, just as the weather is getting cooler.
Bit weird though, I've had a flat battery and don't know the cause, so do wonder if there might be some "connection".

Found the flat battery by accident this afternoon, not having used the car for a few days, just went out to check fuel level and the displays were flickering. Wouldn't turn over but hadn't lost any codes or times so not totally dead.

A quick half hour on a charger and it started OK so went for a short drive to give it a boost and warm it up for later when I do need it. Realised the ventilation fan wasn't working.

I'll have the covers off tomorrow and investigate again. I want to have a good rummage around the scuttle anyway as the washers are a bit feeble.
Old 24th October 2018, 01:16 AM

They're isolated electrically (change over relay IIRC). A connection would be nice though, but the D2 solar cells are older tech and only produce about 9V at a decent enough amperage to run the fan.
The D4's use the newer blue cells and are used to charge the battery - that's a nice feature.

As for the battery, it could just be a once off (going flat), but keep an eye on it.

The onset of cold weather will normally finish off an older battery nearing the end of its life.

If it turns out to be a parasitic drain that can't be found through the usual diagnostic method, or the battery goes flat every few days regardless of use (as in driving it every day should keep the battery topped up, but doesn't seem to), look at the alternator.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)

Last edited by 27litres; 24th October 2018 at 01:18 AM.
Old 24th October 2018, 09:23 AM

The battery is very new (weeks!) but I've been messing around in the car a lot with doors open, not least replacing the NSR door window mech so probably drained it down a fair bit. Though I did go to ADI after that which is a long run. It will get a good long trickle charge now (24hrs?) and I'll monitor it for a while.

I'm fairly familiar with the wiring around the sunroof/fan and have actually installed an isolator switch to disable the solar-powered fan. The way that all works if there is a drain it's somewhere else. Just odd the two things together, though with only a few short runs in recent days that may just be my perception not reality!

Last edited by HPsauce; 24th October 2018 at 09:49 AM.