A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 14th September 2017, 10:33 PM

Default Disable keyless ?

Is there a way to code out or otherwise disable the keyless entry, even better each door separately ?

Im trying to locate a battery drain, and since it gets worse when its raining, my best guess is one or more of the door handles keep waking the car up while its parked for 20 hours a day..

No fault codes of course.

I pulled fuse 42 on the left side of the dash, but that seems to disable the whole car.. It ended up triggering the car alarm when I tried turning the light switch from Auto to 0 (when I locked the car with the key, the front and rear parking lights didn't turn off?)
97 A4 1,8Tq. Powered by a 4,2 from the '01 S6, full rollcage, FIA seats and 6-point harnesses, B5 RS4 KW Competition race suspension, B6 S4 brakes, 18" Toyo RS1 slicks, carbon fiber roof. V8 trackday racer
14 VW Caddy 1,6TDI from my employer..
(X)00 A8 2,8q, (X)97 A4 1,8Tq, (X)92 S4 2,2Tq, (X)92 80 2,3E
Old 15th September 2017, 06:17 PM

Yes, it may be possible, but may also not be needed. I've had a look through the wiring diagrams and coding / adaptation channels for the modules involved. What I've found out is that the door handles are connected to both J518 module (Access / Start Auth.) and its relevant door module (driver, pass., RR, RL). Each door handle has an aerial and touch sensor. It seems that the aerial wires go to J518 and the touch sensor to the door module.

It's more than likely that the touch sensor(s) are at fault, it is well documented. Unfortunately pulling a fuse will take out a whole system and therefore not recommended.

I have a suggestion to remove all touch sensors by physically disconnecting the wire by removing the pin at the door handle or at the door module, whichever is easier.
Pin 3 - Gray Black at each handle
Pin C12 - Gray Black at front door modules
Pin B7 - Gray Black at rear door modules
This will allow KESSY to work, along with driver identity and the start button, but locking only by the key-fob. It may introduce an open circuit fault at the door modules. But that's better than a flat battery!

You could reintroduce each switch one by one until you find the fault and can then replace it.

As I said earlier that KESSY can be coded out, but here the problem is with the touch sensor that is connected to the door module. Should someone want to code KESSY out you will loose function of the start button and driver identity. Furthermore, the driver identity module has component protection so there is a tiny chance CP may kick in.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,

Last edited by mattylondon; 18th September 2017 at 09:22 AM. Reason: updated pins
Old 17th September 2017, 01:32 PM

Ok, but disconnecting these wires is a door disassembly job right ?
97 A4 1,8Tq. Powered by a 4,2 from the '01 S6, full rollcage, FIA seats and 6-point harnesses, B5 RS4 KW Competition race suspension, B6 S4 brakes, 18" Toyo RS1 slicks, carbon fiber roof. V8 trackday racer
Old 17th September 2017, 06:20 PM

I gambled that this was the wire you were talking about.. From pin3 on the door handle (G415) to C12 on the Driver door control unit (J386). Grey/black wire.

Your pin assignment and wire color must be from a different year or something I guess, the B-plug in my Elsawin diagram is the one going to the door card switches.

I pulled it from the plug on the control unit, so didn't have to remove the door "subframe". But looked inside the "inspection hole" over the door handle, and I can see electrical tape in there...so someone have definitely been inside there and "repaired" something before...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0631.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	17046   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0633.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	578.4 KB
ID:	17047  
Old 18th September 2017, 09:10 AM

Excellent work. When I studied the pin assignment I was looking at the rear doors, glad that you checked for the front doors and didn't pull the wrong wire!

Please do update on the battery drain.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 24th September 2017, 06:57 PM

Well I only disconnected the front left door, that certainly didn’t help.. But the wire I disconnected is for the locking button, and that is normally the problem ? Not the «unlock» touch sensor ? Because when I wash the car I notice it comes to life when I use the high pressure across the handles (incl. the disconnected one).. So I wondered if rain was enough to «trigger» the «unlock»-sensor or if I just have to disconnect the other «lock»-buttons as well ?
Old 28th September 2017, 05:55 PM

So I dosconnected another button, did not help either.

But yesterday I noticed the hazard-button and gear/mmi buttons suddenly lit up. When I walked along the right side of the car at about 50cm distance, it unlocked. Tried again and the same thing happened. Not every time though. No touching any handles, just being in range for the key sensor. And it didn’t unlock when i tried the same thing on the left side.

Not sure if it got the signal from front or rear door sensor, almost seemed like both..

Also I could hear a random click-click-click from some relay, sounded like it came from the right side of the engine bay, but I’m not sure about that. It was easiest to hear through the front right wheel arch.

Is this a touch sensor waking the car up, and then all doors search for a key ?

Or will the doors start searching for a key even when it gets a «lock» signal from the button ?
Old 28th September 2017, 06:29 PM

From what you describe it sounds like what I had wrong with mine.

The door handle is fecked and think there is a hand under the handle all the time.

As soon as your key is within range it unlocks.

The other symptom of this is if you try to lock the car either with touch button on handle or with remote but still within keyless range it will immediately unlock again.

When mine was doing this I had to walk far enough away to lock via remote without the keyless being in range to successfully lock the car.

Downside to this is you'll get a flat battery if car is left standing for anything more then a day sometimes shorter.

That leads to a battery that needs replacing along with the door handles to remedy the situation.

So my advise to you would be get it sorted ASAP

Last edited by Delboy; 28th September 2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 5th October 2017, 09:37 AM

I'm with Del on that one.
Handles new are relatively cheap, £88 with discount from Audi.
Paint you can get online or have it mixed in form of spray can, can of lacquer and do everything yourself.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 6th October 2017, 04:14 PM

I checked with Audi here in Norway, £180 including my discounts...

Guess I will have to buy them from some other country

But I think I’m going to try to find out which handles are faulty before I replace them..