A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 16th January 2016, 05:10 PM

Default S8 v10 intake manifold flaps

Today we spent few hours on my beast
- rear handle replaced ( remove is literally 10 min but to put new one in .... well we did scream a bit hi hi, done in the end phew)
- adaptive headlights fault fixed ( dodgy connector on suspension sensor,done)
- oil changed ( qantum 5w30 for 5£ a liter, thank you very much), this is my half way extra oil service.....I call it, I change oil every 6 month because I
- still cannot to get in the bottom of auto wipers/lights issue....will get there need to be positive as there is no info anywhere
- while reading codes booom first in my ownership flaps fault

Says flap stuck open bank 2. I did kindly asked for repairer details from Norretal to estimate size of a hole in the wallet and stick that on my to do list.
But guys whats your opinion about service from Kent Automotive which I sugested before. Decoke, flaps delete and remap for 350£ plus vat and forget about it?
That will give even more umpf right?

Last edited by Borys; 16th January 2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 16th January 2016, 06:58 PM

Default S8 v10 manifold flaps

Hi Borrys,

If you have access to VCDS, there is a set of tests which "exercise all the flaps and their respective motors. If you also take off the cover on top of the front of the engine ( says v10 s or something) you will see the servo motors and linkages on the front of the inlet manifold. I also had a flaps stuck error code, so I liberally squirted WD40 pinto every pivot point and ran through the exercises a couple of times. Result, code cleared and has not returned. I will have a look tomorrow in the light to get exact details of the test, but it is engine in the right hand list (those you do very carefully because they can mess things up.

I also took the precaution of connecting the battery to my charger whilst doing the tests, in case current draw was large.

Good luck in you try this (at your own risk please)

Richardracer
2006 Audi S8 V10 Now Sold. Akoya Silver with black/grey leather, standard 20" wheels, hybrid TV, Bang & Olufssen audio, Heated seats front and rear, Dension ipod integration, DAB radio, keyless entry, rear electric blind, bluetooth connection to Apple iphone6S. Started at 60,000 miles end April 12. Now 171,500 miles as at Oct 2017. Now sold to fellow forum member.
Old 16th January 2016, 07:00 PM

what exactly is Flaps Delete ?
Old 16th January 2016, 07:07 PM

Default Flaps delete?

I am only guessing, but from the self study engine guides, there are flaps which alter the length of the intake path ( longer at low speed for improved torque and throttle response) and flaps just in front of the intake valves which pivot out of the way at higher loads, but induce turbulence or tumble home when flow rates are lower.

First set easily accessible with manifold off, second set look like you need to remove cylinder heads.

Richardracer
2006 Audi S8 V10 Now Sold. Akoya Silver with black/grey leather, standard 20" wheels, hybrid TV, Bang & Olufssen audio, Heated seats front and rear, Dension ipod integration, DAB radio, keyless entry, rear electric blind, bluetooth connection to Apple iphone6S. Started at 60,000 miles end April 12. Now 171,500 miles as at Oct 2017. Now sold to fellow forum member.
Old 16th January 2016, 07:12 PM

Default S8 v10 de coke - possible group buy?

Are there enough of us interested in this to negotiate a group discount? I would be in with my 157,000 mile car.

Richard
Old 16th January 2016, 09:11 PM

I'm in too
Wanted to give them a call on monday to see exactly whats what
Old 17th January 2016, 08:29 AM

Default Exercising manifold flaps

Hi Borys,

In VCDS, Use Option 01 (Engine), within that, option 03 Output Tests. 3rd or 4th test in is "Intake Manifold Timing Valve Control Circuit (Bank 1)", then "Inlet Manifold Flap Bank 1 Camshaft Position Indicator". Bit further on, are the other banks.

Regards

Richardracer
Old 17th January 2016, 08:50 AM

Thank you Richard
Old 17th January 2016, 11:21 AM

It worked
Did exactly Rich as you sugested, wd40 then to test all faults cleared
Result !!!!!
Still will consider decoking service thou