A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 22nd February 2017, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Let's hope it really is history. And an experience that can help others.
Well there is certainly more than enough information in this thread alone, should anyone else have any similar symptoms.

Quote:
PS Sean, good to see you'll be at the June meet.
Ferry and accommodation finally booked, though by the time June comes around, I may have had to cancel. Time will tell.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 28th February 2017, 02:51 PM

Just over 2 weeks now since I made that tiny adjustment to the brake pedal switch and all still good.

One thing I'm now becoming aware of, given the drive is much more consistent, is that the accelerator is extremely sensitive after a cold start, but soon settles down.
I do wonder if that's anything to do with the SAI system and associated fuelling adjustments?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 27th January 2020, 02:52 PM

Well it's a long time (nearly 3 years!) since I reported anything on this issue, but it definitely happened today.
As commonly seen before it was after stopping at a T-junction after steady continuous braking (downhill to the junction), holding on the footbrake then pulling out into a main road. As ever a "twitch" of the right foot resumed normal operation. The car had been driven several miles and was fully warmed up.

Whether my checking of the brake pedal switch recently is relevant or not I don't know. I did feel that the return spring on the pedal felt really quite light when rechecking the switch operation with VCDS after I returned home. (That's when I found that an 01435 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201) intermittent error had been logged)
Is there anything there that should be lubricated to ensure the pedal returns promptly and operates the switch positively when you take your foot off the brake?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 27th January 2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Whether my checking of the brake pedal switch recently is relevant or not I don't know.
I think you may have jinxed yourself, as you haven't had an issue for so long, and for that reason I'm saying nothing about my brake switch!

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 27th January 2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I think you may have jinxed yourself, as you haven't had an issue for so long
Maybe not as I've had my suspicions for a little while that it's starting to misbehave. That's why when the subject came up I decided to check.
Today was the first really blatant manifestation for some time though.
Old 29th January 2020, 10:52 AM

Hmmmm, happened again last night. Car had been unused since Monday afternoon and it was freezing.
Stopped at an uphill T-junction (so only light braking) about 200 yards from home and typical sluggishness when pulling out, cured as ever by a throttle twitch.
No warning lights, just sluggishness.

Later on it was fine. I do wonder if somehow the brake pedal isn't returning properly/promptly or if the actual switch is faulty.
Anyone know the part number offhand? Edit: It looks like 4A0945515A and our sponsors have a used one in stock (from a FL S8) for beer money, so I've ordered one.
(Scan today only showed the usual intermittent Gear Recognition Signal code)

Last edited by HPsauce; 29th January 2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 29th January 2020, 11:37 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
I do wonder if somehow the brake pedal isn't returning properly/promptly or if the actual switch is faulty.
Anyone know the part number offhand? Edit: It looks like 4A0945515A and our sponsors have a used one in stock (from a FL S8) for beer money, so I've ordered one.
In my experience, it's always the switch itself. Like I said in this thread, I think it's one of the contact pairs that burns and begins to stick. If you take the old one apart you'll see evidence of contact burning (see attached photos of one of my old switches).

The replacement Meyle switch has proven reliable for me so far, and they can be had (brand new) for a tenner or less.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/?_nkw=100%20945%200000

I think they will all suffer from contact burn over time though, so it's probably not worth the time and effort to fit a used one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-08 14.03.47.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	22806   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-08 14.04.21.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	230.5 KB
ID:	22807   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-08 14.05.49.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	490.8 KB
ID:	22808   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-08 14.10.25.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	527.8 KB
ID:	22809   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-08 14.10.40.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	22810   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-08 14.11.08.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	22811   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-08 14.11.52.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	22812   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-08 14.12.25.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	292.2 KB
ID:	22813   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-08 14.12.50.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	22814   Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-02-08 14.13.06.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	448.4 KB
ID:	22815  

------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 29th January 2020, 11:46 AM

Thanks for that reminder Mark, very useful to see inside as well.

What sort of symptoms were you getting that made you decide to change the switch, and did you use VCDS to get it set correctly or just judge it by when the brake lights came on?

Last edited by HPsauce; 29th January 2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 31st January 2020, 12:39 PM

My replacement switches (one new Meyle, one used Audi) have arrived and I've been testing them electrically and working out the logic with the help of Mark's pictures.

There are two pairs of contacts, connected to the larger and smaller pairs if pins in the plug. As the plunger is pressed in (by releasing the brake pedal) the shorting plate moves from the larger to the smaller pair, with a small gap in between when neither are connected. This all makes sense as the larger pins are the brake light circuit.

I imagine it's not that difficult to pop a suspect switch open (maybe warn it up a bit first to soften the plastic case?) and clean up the contacts.
Mark's photos show the corroded contacts are those away from the internal spring which would indeed be the brake light circuit presumably carrying a significant current for the brake lights.

Incidentally I've tested the internal resistance of the brake light circuit through the switches I have and both (old and new) are around 2 ohms. It will be interesting to see what the one in my car is, but that measurement will have to wait until I replace it.

Last edited by HPsauce; 31st January 2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 31st January 2020, 01:19 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

If it is just the brake lights that cause those contacts to burn (I was thinking it might be something inductive, like a gear selector release solenoid), I wonder how easy it would be to modify the circuit to use a relay.

Assuming the ABS/ESP ECU is 'aware' of the contact, it would probably be best to keep that part of the circuit intact (for timing reasons), while using a relay to take care of the high-current switching.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust