A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 12th June 2019, 06:30 PM

Default Best Brand for Parts? - Wheel Bearings

I'm looking to purchase some wheel bearings for the D3 S8, as I suspect I cooked out whilst taking out the pinch bolt recently, but there are a ton of different brands out there to choose from, so looking at what people consider a good brand to opt for.

The ones that I've been looking at so far have been Febi, Meyle, SKF and FAG, with prices +/- a couple of pounds. There are others, but the prices are about 50% of the others, so avoiding them.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 12th June 2019, 07:00 PM

FAG and SKF are original equipment
Old 12th June 2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
FAG and SKF are original equipment
Perfect.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 13th June 2019, 10:20 AM

INA are good too, they are FAG in a differnt box (same company).
Old 13th June 2019, 07:13 PM

I had presumed that buying from TPS means OEM, though not always the cheapest, but at least the "proper" parts? Guess then if you know the supplier/manufacturer you can find them cheaper elsewhere?

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 13th June 2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Guess then if you know the supplier/manufacturer you can find them cheaper elsewhere?
That's the plan. Just wanted to confirm which manufacturers I should be looking at.

Old 18th June 2019, 02:10 AM

SKF, FAG and Koyo are best in the business.
My personal preference is SKF. The fact they're OEM is icing on the cake!

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 25th June 2019, 05:16 PM

Just following up on this thread. Since I'm waiting on a new back window, I took the car to the mechanic and he checked out both front wheels to see if we did indeed cook the passenger side front wheel bearing. Both wheels exhibited no signs whatsoever of a wheel bearing issue, and ran free and quiet.

We also took it out for a drive and monitored the ABS sensors through various speeds, from a standstill to 60mph in 10mph increments. All four recorded identical readings at all times.

However... when I get to about 25-30mph, I now get an ESP fault warning on the DIS, as well as the orange warning light. Scanning it with VCDS reveals no stored errors, and cycling the ignition clears the warning light (until the next time). I never had this issue prior to changing the aftermarket suspension over, and unfortunately do not recall getting the error prior to getting the wheel alignment done (of which only one wheel; the front right; needed adjusting).

The one thing I have noticed since is that the steering wheel is not perfectly straight. Now, I removed it when doing the ACC retrofit, and had marked it up prior to removal. Is it possible that this could be giving the ESP fault if I somehow managed to fit it one spline out, as I've run out of ideas on what else could be causing it.

Old 25th June 2019, 06:20 PM

Its possible the wheel removal could upset the steering angle sensor if you didn't get it back in the same place, but one spline is unlikely. It can handle a few degrees of misalignment from its calibrated position to deal with tyres and suspension components wearing.

When you get the error light, are you checking with VCDS without turning it off in between? I've found that sensor errors are transient so when you get one like that you have to keep everything running and scan it immediately to see what the code is. As soon as you turn it off and on again it's gone. Most frustrating!
Old 25th June 2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
When you get the error light, are you checking with VCDS without turning it off in between? I've found that sensor errors are transient so when you get one like that you have to keep everything running and scan it immediately to see what the code is. As soon as you turn it off and on again it's gone. Most frustrating!
I've always tended to use VCDS with just the ignition on. It was only when checking the ABS sensors yesterday that I had the engine running as well. Will have to give that a try later tomorrow after I get the new window.