A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 7th May 2009, 06:42 PM

Can I smell some Nitro in the offing?

Or an RS6 lump.. You've changed it once, why not again

I know.. I know..

Old 7th May 2009, 07:12 PM

I don't know. It may be difficult to run LPG and nitrous. I don't think Mike would have changed the engine and gone through the pain to rip it out and start again.

Maybe methanol?

Please say you're gonna supercharge it with a Mad Max Weiand setup that works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	falconfront.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	239  
Old 7th May 2009, 08:12 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Can I smell some Nitro in the offing?

Or an RS6 lump.. You've changed it once, why not again
Nitromethane! I'm a bit out there not stark raving mad. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluewhale View Post
I don't know. It may be difficult to run LPG and nitrous. I don't think Mike would have changed the engine and gone through the pain to rip it out and start again.

Maybe methanol?

Please say you're gonna supercharge it with a Mad Max Weiand setup that works
A water/methanol mix is an idea I have toyed with. I have a design that would work but not give the gains needed. i'd love to supercharge it but the costs........

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 7th May 2009, 09:22 PM

I'm with bluewhale!...

We need Mad Mike whizzing around the roads of Cornwall with a great big supercharger stucking out the bonnet!

I know.. I know..

Old 7th May 2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
i'd love to supercharge it but the costs........
Sell your children, or better still, your neighbours children.

On a more sensible note, you're right, the costs would be mental, did I read somewhere that the S8's lump is near the limit of what the crank and tranny will cope with? If so that would be new everything required. In that case I have an evil thought to plant in your mind. A long block Chevy V8 with 502hp out of the crate plus a transmission to cope with it would be around £6500. You work with people that could fabricate the engine and tranny mounts for you. I'm not saying now but should you ever get bored.....

For now the suggestion of Nitrous Oxide has it's charms and with a good installer it can be very good value for money for an extra 70 bhp and very good fun.

BTW, Well done Conan You popped your cherry

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.
Old 13th June 2009, 08:14 AM
wizzard1222

Cool Suspension Control Arms kit

Quote:
Thanks, I think Crabs are great (in sandwiches!)

I got them from a local motor factor via the Car Club I belong to so they were a good price. They are out of TREs but the rest is available at 24/48 hours notice.
I sourced them from FCP Groton in May...w/o tie rods (replaced last fall) for about $221 w/free S&H. (fcpgroton.com) They have limited parts/kits but the few are quality and price reasonable. Best I could source in the States.
Old 13th June 2009, 08:41 AM
wizzard1222

Default Lower rear control arm BOLTs...the easy way!

Quote:
Mmmmmmm home made fried rice and garlic sausages!

Any way, I also started resembling the front suspension. As it was all off the car it was fairly straightforward. The 2 lower arms went back on before the subframe was refitted. the 2 upper arms were put back in the strut upper bracket before it was put back on the car. No herein lies a problem. You can't get a socket on the rear lower and upper arms bolts to torque them up when they are in the car.
See here

Bolts 5 and 23.

Here they are on the car

The problem is that are to close to the bodywork. So how do you torque them up to the 90Nm and 90° when you can't get a torque wrench in.
It's common knowledge that the suspension components should be torqued up when the are under load to avoid any pre-loading of the bushes.
After lots of discussions with some Navy engineers there are 2 possible ways to achieve this.
Method 1 - (long Winded) Rebuild suspension. load it up by putting and axle stand under the hub carrier and allowing the weight of the car to come on the suspension. Torque up all the control arms you can and mark the position of the control arms you can't so that after a further dismantling you can line up the control arms and torque them up before putting them back on the car.

Method 2 - (Quicker but less accurate) Practice torquing up the bolts when off the car and undo and redo them using a spanner. Check with your torque wrench. Once you are happy how much effort it needs, reassemble on the car, tighten with the spanner until you think you are there then do a further 90° and mark up the nut, washer and arm with a dash of paint and monitor.

Method 2 was the method I used.

A gratuitous picture of the state of the inner arch after I used W&D to remove the paint...

More tomorrow when I will mostly be attaching things and filling things with liquid and maybe electrifying things.

Disclaimer:

I really am stumbling along blindly with any person living or dead who will talk to me. Anyone who uses this work which is nobody's intellectual property maybe certifiable! :P

I was not doing a swap...just full suspension part replacement. I followed audipages.com directions and was really surprised when I got to the lower rear control arm bolts...I used my saber saw with new metal blade...thru in a few minutes. I ordered new bolts from the dealer ($3.47 @ after two days delivery from Chicago warehouse). I was pleasantly surprised how nicely the reverse process was completed with finger tight opening in the subframe.

I wished that the upper "lock bolt" for the upper control arms would have been as cooperative. My driver side was OK after soaking a few days! But the passenger side was as Conan experienced! Mine took over 8 hrs...I did not have access to an air hammer...just arm strength power.

Audipages.com has great material for us DIY'ers...Thanks
I really like this "swap" as well....thank you for your humor and direction...I have been searching for two weeks for this same "swap" optional process.

My 1998 A8 has skipped timing...probably bent imput vales....so I am probably in the same boat as Conan was..."swap"....possibly rebuild the old as a spare or for sale to someone else.

Anyone know a great source for quality and low cost for valves and parts? Or a full rebuild engine parts kit?

There is a brave new world out there..."swapping"...ONWARD!
Old 13th June 2009, 09:12 AM
wizzard1222

Default Limp mode...replace filter & fluid

Quote:
I have done a few engine replacements and got some strange engines into cars they weren't designed for. But that was back in the late 70s and early S when things were much simpler.

Just been out for a full rampage. All as sweet as a nut. Steering is noticeable crisper and the lump didn't miss a beat. So I am a happy bunny.

However comma, the Tran has thrown a fault code that I will post in the appropriate section. Don't think it's related as i have had it before intermittently.
Before my 1998 A8 timing belt skip....I had my transmission going the famed "Limp mode". My Audi was used by NJ County Police Commander...but I did not have any service history....assume the worst!

I researched the net for several weeks and found Audi pages.com I read and followed their tyranny service suggestions after drawing the conclusion that it would be an expensive tyranny service @ the dealer or some independent (seems that only a few brave Ase's will even work on an Audi around here {Saint Louis, Mo. area}). I sourced the AFT fluid, filter and gasket.

This was difficult because they sent the wrong gasket from one supplier & couldn't get the right one...sent the whole bunch back and re-ordered from another supplier...they sent the wrong gasket as well but 10 days later I have the right one in hand....time a wasting!

I blocked the Audi up in my driveway...level. Had the Audi hooked up to vagcom....followed the adages.com directions. Two day process of draining the AFT w/weather conditions...and filled it back up.

Slow and easy on the blocks while testing and the wheels rolling! Everything was working nicely. Dropped the Audi off the blocks and slowly walked it around the neighborhood for a few days. Working nicely

The "lifetime AFT" is a bunch of crap! Mine was very dark and the pan was full of shaving on the magnets! I did not know at the time to check the solenoids or I would have done that process as well.

Conan: Did you service your tyranny and/or the oil cooler while you have the opportunity on the "swap process"?

If I end of having to do an used engine swap, I am planning to do almost anything that can or would possibly leak or squawk due to age or usage. I had a (some) vacuum leaks causing misfires...found them in the Audi plastic T's in the vacuum lines around the engine heads!...finally sourced them @ a dealer with generic plastic T's for $1 @....little things like this are a pain so if you have the engine fully out and exposed...it seems like the time to do anything you can...save time & $Money

Thanks again Conan for your time and willingness to share your experiences with all of us...@ ahhh...boy!
Old 9th June 2017, 10:13 AM

Hi mike what method and products did you use to clean your engine? mine is out at the moment and i might as well give it a quick clean. I've got to resist the temptation to soda blast it. cheers Dave

2002 S8 silver with black half leather
2000 d2 S8 in Racing green pearl, RS4 manual gearbox,
2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911

Tags
4.2 v8, engine swap, s8 ahc