A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 19th May 2011, 08:10 PM

Evening thread followers!
Just a quick update been in London all day and need to turn the laptop off and chill! I couldn't live there.... a day is enough, I had a cabbie who drove like a nutter, so much so I asked him if I had to pay extra for the experience

I'll find the link to the parts site I found and post it up.

Basically I managed to get in touch with an Audi dealer in NI who according to the site had two of the parts in stock (right part number too). After trading a few emails with the parts chap at the dealership (who was very helpful) they offered to ship the new OEM Audi Compressor for £960 all in with delivery.
So, I finally ordered the part this morning and I am hoping it will be delivered to my officed tommorrow for fitting over the weekend . After considering all the options and some good advice from Bex (thanks again) I went for the security of the OEM part and the 2 year peace of mind warranty which applies throughout the UK and I have asked the dealer to add the reg and Chassis number of my car to the invoice as advised by my local Audi parts chap.
Still think the price is OTT for what it is though but I need it fixed and don't want to have to keep one eye on the warning light every journey!

Now all I need to do is fit the damn thing, with some pointers from Bex.

I'll let you know how things progress and I am looking forward to washing two weeks worth of dust and sh*te of the A8 and using it again. After this weekend
Cheers
Glyn
Old 19th May 2011, 08:33 PM

very informative thread Glyn, hope the fitting goes ok, I have to agree re what Audi charge for parts, I was looking for a wiper arm the other day, £90 from the Dealer even the parts chap was astonished at the price. Got one from e-bay for £15, minor compared to your issues I know but just another example of the crazy charges they seem to get away with

cheers

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 19th May 2011, 08:34 PM

Good luck Glyn...

Fingers crossed that's it all sorted.

I know.. I know..

Old 19th May 2011, 09:00 PM

while we are on crazy prices I was given the following "advisory prices" by my local audi dealer for work on my 8 LOL

Cambelt Change £741.90 + vat
Pair of front springs £440 + vat
Per Lower suspension arm £220-£240 PER SIDE!!!

ahemmm

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 20th May 2011, 12:38 AM

Unfortunately dealers make so little money on new car sales these days, parts are where they get most of their revenue.

Glyn, I will start writing down what you need to do in order to fit this. Honestly, after stumping up almost a grand, the relief I had when the problem was fixed made it so worth it. Don't tell Audi this, but I'd have paid double and still felt the same lol

Was such a headache-more so because I was being a tight arse lol but she's as sweet as a nut now. w00t!!!!

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 20th May 2011, 03:48 AM

it seems to me that the air suspension pump looks like a weakness on the D3 that might be one to budget for eventually replacing - can I ask at what mileages each of you had this failure?

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs

Last edited by Architex_mA8tey; 20th May 2011 at 03:50 AM.
Old 20th May 2011, 09:46 AM

Could be... it's probably one of the few things that hasn't played up on mine

I know.. I know..

Old 20th May 2011, 10:35 AM

Silver is on 107,000 so roughly 100,000 it went? Maybe more?? But the blue '8 is on 160k and no compressor failure and the black one is nearly on 100k and it's fine

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 20th May 2011, 11:00 AM

They all got the same size wheels? Mine's done 71k on a 53 plate and is fine so far.

I know.. I know..

Old 25th May 2011, 03:49 PM

Default Update

Afternoon All
Great news, took the day off to get the A8 sorted and we now have air suspension again. Although it cost me £960 in the end for the unit, which was a tad cheaper than the local Audi happies. I just couldn't bring myself to take a chance on a used one or one which might not fit properly, and then be faced with doing it all again. This has a two year warranty and was from a main dealer. All they managed to do wrong was post in on a 48 hour delivery rather than a 24 hour one which meant I have had to do it during the week as it didn't arrived for this last weekend.
My car is now 4 years old and has covered just under 70K when the pump packed up. All FASH if that matters The old one did have a "burnt" smell about it which confirmed to me it was sh*gged!

I have just test driven the car and all seems well no noise just smooth suspension again.

I have taken some photo's of the work and what required so if anyone's interested I will post them up to assist anyone else facing the same problem.
Big Big thanks to Bex who was a diamond and actually spurred me on to do this myself rather than shell out another £400 for the dealer to have a go.
No really special tools required and just a bit of thought and patience. There are a well built car and don't seem to fight being taken apart like some cars I have had.
Down side of this is that I have discovered the inside edge of the front tyres is b*ggered and I now need new rubber earlier than I had thought. Oh and the four wheel alignment too as it's obviously way out
And Mrs C just told me I need to pay for the holiday
Cheers
Glyn