A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 13th April 2018, 06:18 PM

Stunning work MJ

Aplogies in advance if this is nonsense, I am well fluent in it...and I understand it is probably Vera's choice in this case, but if this was my car and there was even the slightest hint that LPG could have contributed in some way to this, I would'nt be reinstalling it in the new engine. I frequent many car based forums and see quite a few problems related to LPG. However I guess the biggest question I have is if LPG is so great why are major manufacturers not offering it as an option on new vehicles, particularly in these times when diesel (rightly IMHO) and petrol is getting bad press.

Just the thoughts of a rambling Scotsman

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 13th April 2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Stunning work MJ

Aplogies in advance if this is nonsense, I am well fluent in it...and I understand it is probably Vera's choice in this case, but if this was my car and there was even the slightest hint that LPG could have contributed in some way to this, I would'nt be reinstalling it in the new engine. I frequent many car based forums and see quite a few problems related to LPG. However I guess the biggest question I have is if LPG is so great why are major manufacturers not offering it as an option on new vehicles, particularly in these times when diesel (rightly IMHO) and petrol is getting bad press.

Just the thoughts of a rambling Scotsman
I've had my D2 running on LPG since November 2013. To me there has only been two downsides, the time it takes to fill the tank and the lack of petrol stations that actually sell it. Other than that, the only time the LPG has stopped running is when it detected a fault with one of the ignition coils.

From a manufacturers viewpoint, I suspect it would be to do with where to locate the actual tank. Mine is a 125 litre tank running across the back of the boot. You could fit a smaller capacity toroidal one in the spare wheel well, but then you lose that space. You would also need a small petrol tank since the engine starts on petrol and switches to LPG when it reaches a certain temperature. That would mean having two fuel tank instruments. The LPG filler is also non-standard so you need different adaptors depending on where you travel e.g. I have one for buying my LPG over the border in Ireland.

Lastly, from the back pocket perspective, best thing I've ever done to the car. Some very rough figures. Until the time I got the LPG conversion done, I had covered just shy of 5,000 miles at a cost of £1,977. From the conversion and for a cost of £1,965, I travelled 18 mile short of 10,000.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 13th April 2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang9 View Post
Apologies in advance if this is nonsense
Its a valid question. While I can't say what has caused the oil thirst, I do not believe the LPG is to blame. I've done some digging and I don't think the injector adapters are upsetting the spray pattern. Its not uncommon for tuners to use similar adapters when fitting different models of injectors. Plenty of cars run on LPG just fine, and Vauxhall did sell some models brand new with LPG, albeit dealer-fitted, but they still had a warranty.

That said, the engine will be run-in solely on petrol for at least the first 8-10K Km. We'll be able to ensure its behaving the same as mine before it gets it's first sniff of LPG
Old 13th April 2018, 10:11 PM

A more successful day today, albeit still with considerable upside-down backwards spine bending!

This is where the clutch hose screws in to the master cylinder It took about an hour of wiggling and tweaking to get the union at just the right angle for it to catch the thread.

Here it is from the engine bay. I reattached the slave cylinder and pressure bled it while the engine was out.

I finished off the paint too. Completely forgot to get pics of it in primer, but basically I've feathered the edges of each paint stage to blend it in.

Some colour on

Then clearcoat / lacquer

Complete

I'm pleased with the work, but rather disappointed with the colour match. The aerosol ended up having rather more purple in it than the original paint which in comparison is more green. If it was the same colour the repair would be nearly invisible. As it is, its acceptable considering you can't see it without removing parts.

Engine ready to go back in

And bolted back in the car

Vera was able to stay long enough this evening to see the marriage of car and new engine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180413_010.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	18428   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180413_007.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	18429   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180413_008.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	18430   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180413_012.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	18431   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180413_013.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	18432   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180413_018.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	18433   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180413_014.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	18434   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20180413_017.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	18435  
Old 14th April 2018, 06:32 AM

It's not out of the realm of manufacturers to be able to offer both LPG/Petrol.
Nissan/Toyota/Mitsubishi all offered industrial versions of their car engines as dual fuel.

Forklifts traditionally ran as petrol engines with a LPG vaporiser converting the liquid form in to a vapour and dumping it in to the intake manifold.

A toggle switch on the dash switched between petrol and lpg.
I still have a few on the hire fleet that run this system.

More modern trucks run a system very similar to Vera's D2 setup with the LPG injected in to the fuel injection port (or as is the case nowadays, in direct replacement to the fuel injectors running as LPG only)

Daily drive:
2016 Infiniti QX70.....a car that's even more complicated than my last Infiniti FX to modify

Current 'Project':
VW Crafter CR50 4 berth camper van

Previous 'Projects':
2006 Subaru Legacy Spec 'B' 3.0R,
1994 Ex-MOD Land Rover Defender, now "civilianised".
2000 Audi S8 FL

www.whall.co.uk
Old 14th April 2018, 09:18 AM

I know we are all a bit OCD on this forum MJ but as you have tp prize the covers off covering the turret and then still have a few pipes etc in the way along with the general road dirt I think its going to be hard to detect the difference in paint shade!!
Its interesting that Vera's paintwork is clear coated all the way inside the engine bay. Mine certainly isnt and, as I remember you showing me on Dean's red-mobile, his was half and half!
Old 14th April 2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Lastly, from the back pocket perspective, best thing I've ever done to the car. Some very rough figures. Until the time I got the LPG conversion done, I had covered just shy of 5,000 miles at a cost of £1,977. From the conversion and for a cost of £1,965, I travelled 18 mile short of 10,000.
My S8 (my last work car...) has cost me around £18k in fuel over the first three years I had it: My current work car cost me around £800 in total over the same duration, covering roughly the same mileage ( no zeros missing...)

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 14th April 2018, 03:00 PM

ive seen this crack on another members car when he had his engine out, his name escapes me at the moment,
great work MJ
Dave

2002 S8 silver with black half leather
2000 d2 S8 in Racing green pearl, RS4 manual gearbox,
2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911
Old 14th April 2018, 03:25 PM

Epic thread.

Any idea as to why the seam at the turret has cracked and needed welding?
Old 14th April 2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Epic thread.

Any idea as to why the seam at the turret has cracked and needed welding?
Epic thread indeed. As to your question, you need to go back to page 4, post 36 for precise details:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....2&postcount=36

No skipping any more posts There will be an exam at the end.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds