A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 14th April 2017, 08:06 PM

Default advice please on gear shifter removal

Got a new auto gear shifter coming from prestige as the button on my D2 one wont come back out when pressed. fed up prising it out with a screwdriver!! Struggling to work out how to remove the broken one however.
Old 14th April 2017, 08:40 PM

Haven't read these instructions, but I think this is what you want to know:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...erremoval.html

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 14th April 2017, 08:46 PM

Do you mean the whole shifter mechanism? Thats a fairly big task iirc. To get the wood surround off you need to remove the two console side panels and there is an M6 socket head screw on each side holding the wood piece in. I'll have a look in Elsawin and see if there's a procedure for swapping the unit over.
Old 14th April 2017, 09:31 PM

Its only the top part of the shifter i need to remove and I was really hoping it can be done without removing the side panels. Haven't seen any screws that would help it be this easy tho.
Old 15th April 2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
Its only the top part of the shifter i need to remove and I was really hoping it can be done without removing the side panels. Haven't seen any screws that would help it be this easy tho.
Sorry, thought you meant the whole thing. Check this video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiQ4BeWaNAM

I can't check my own car out, as it's still with the mechanic.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 15th April 2017, 09:16 AM

https://youtu.be/uXyEEWQ1LCQ
https://youtu.be/JQGstkay2Tg
Old 15th April 2017, 09:36 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by david View Post
Its only the top part of the shifter

I can't help but notice that clarity it being sacrificed in this thread in an attempt to avoid double entendres.

Say it like it is, you want to know how to pull your knob off!

Never had mine apart but, looking at the videos, there doesn't seem to be a lot to go wrong in there. Maybe a little lube is all that's needed (no double entendre intended)?
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 15th April 2017, 02:23 PM

Default Sorted

Many thanks everyone, job done in 5 mins. A little knowledge is a wonderful thing.