A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > VCDS (aka Vagcom)

VCDS (aka Vagcom) For all your electronic debug / diag advice queries and mods.

Old 4th January 2017, 08:43 PM

Default Main Dealer - Goodbye

It's not often that Main Dealers take to Internet forums for advice, however...

As some of you may know (from various meets etc), I work in the service department at a multi-franchise main dealer. We recently said goodbye to the remaining VAG brands associated with the company, for sales and service.

Since we still have a huge aftersales customer base, we need a solution to replace our VAG computer tools, for 'aftermarket' products, with the main requirement being just to reset service indicators. Any other features would be advantageous since the technicians are not moving/leaving.

I made my knowledge of VCDS known to my service manager, and he enquired. So:

Whats the cheapest version or variant of VCDS?
Will it reset or adjust service indicatiors for Sèat and Skoda vehicles 2016>?
Will it have any diagnostic properties for this 'era' of vehicles.

Advice would be much appreciated.

Sean

A8/S8 - A gap to fill.

Multi-Franchise Main Dealer during the day, Amateur vehicle enthusiast by night.
Old 4th January 2017, 08:52 PM

I think most of your questions can be answered by looking at the Ross-Tech web site http://www.ross-tech.com/ or making contact with them http://www.ross-tech.com/contact.php .
I'd guess you'd be looking at their Professional range: https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/vcds/p/
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 4th January 2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 4th January 2017, 09:06 PM

Hi Sean,

Certainly VCDS can do what your service department wants from a tool. I've worked on Seat and Skoda's without problems. The Hex CAN-USB which many of us have is now discontinued, although I bet Genden still have UK stock, replaced by HEX V2 aimed at enthusiasts and limited to 3 or 10 VINs - not good for a service dept. Then there's Hex Net with unlimited VINs, a wireless tool that uses WiFi, but you're getting a bit pricy if you need a few of these. I'd certainty look out for used HEX CAN-USB cables as it will do all you want and can work with unlimited VINs at a cheap price.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 4th January 2017, 10:38 PM

I'm told by a friend who deals with modern stuff (I only go to ~2005) that 2016 onwards VAG models are no longer supported by VCDS. Apparently the protocols are all new and different. Might be worth confirming that with Ross-tech before buying something?

Edit - just checked the site and it appears the new Hex-Net does support the new UDS/ODX protocols. I suspect the older Hex-Can doesn't as that's what my friend and I both have.

Not impressed with their new licencing model at all

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 4th January 2017 at 10:50 PM.
Old 4th January 2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I'm told by a friend who deals with modern stuff (I only go to ~2005) that 2016 onwards VAG models are no longer supported by VCDS. Apparently the protocols are all new and different. Might be worth confirming that with Ross-tech before buying something?
Yes, currently the new Q7, A4 and perhaps a few 2016 and newer MQB cars are not supported on the Hex USB-CAN.

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 5th January 2017, 12:59 AM

I think the only new Seat and Skoda models are likely to be the Areca and Kodiac however due to the timing of the franchise closure, I'm not sure we will see those customers. The Ross Tech links are great thanks.

There's another member on here who has the cheaper OBD-USB version (I think), which worked with D2, D3, and D4 A8's and also a 66-Plate Audi A5. I will have to borrow it and see.

Does anyone know of something other than VCDS that might work perhaps?

A8/S8 - A gap to fill.

Multi-Franchise Main Dealer during the day, Amateur vehicle enthusiast by night.
Old 5th January 2017, 03:39 AM

Why are you giving up on dealer tools.

It's my understanding that anyone can setup an account to have Geko access.

I believe that is law as well. Manufacturers are meant to allow independent repair shops that same level of diagnostic ability to prevent a monopoly on fixing cars.

If you stick with dealer tools with online access you can adapt new electronic parts to cars and remove the component protection.

If your not continuing Geko subscription due to cost then Vcds would be my next logical choice.

There is also vague can pro and arbrites commander the later can also remove CP but in an offline way which I guess Vag would disapprove of.

The last two tools I only know of buy have no experience using so recommend you do some investigation

Old 5th January 2017, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
Why are you giving up on dealer tools.

It's my understanding that anyone can setup an account to have Geko access.

I believe that is law as well. Manufacturers are meant to allow independent repair shops that same level of diagnostic ability to prevent a monopoly on fixing cars.

If you stick with dealer tools with online access you can adapt new electronic parts to cars and remove the component protection.

If your not continuing Geko subscription due to cost then Vcds would be my next logical choice.

There is also vague can pro and arbrites commander the later can also remove CP but in an offline way which I guess Vag would disapprove of.

The last two tools I only know of buy have no experience using so recommend you do some investigation
I think we were using ODIS, I'm not 100% sure how it all worked.

Cost effectiveness may be one of the reasons, us 'ground staff' don't get told too much I'm afraid.

Ultimately all we would need to be able to do is just to reset Service lights. Since we won't have access to anymore VAG technical information, support, or mechanical repair procedures, it puts us behind a little.

Sean

A8/S8 - A gap to fill.

Old 5th January 2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug View Post
Ultimately all we would need to be able to do is just to reset Service lights.
You probably don't even need VCDS to do this, most cars you can do it through the cluster through the right sequence
Old 5th January 2017, 12:37 PM

Yeah most normal cars haha! Some VAG cars must be plugged in to do it.

A8/S8 - A gap to fill.