A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 21st August 2011, 09:18 AM

Default Adaptive headlight error

Hmmm, had my D3 for about a month and its just started to bleep and throw up and error message on start. 'Adaptive headlight defective' with a yellow headlight symbol. I will admit that when I bought the car I did not know it had this option fitted or even what does. I have now enlightened myself, but I'm seeing scary 'just remove the front bumper' messages to fix. Anyone else had a problem with this? I assume codes will need reading? I have no way of doing this myself. Would a blown bulb give out this error or is it likely to be a more sinister motor problem. Car has been fault free for a month, and as far as i can recall I have not driven it in the dark yet(no, I'm not scared lol) Error message comes up in daytime running or when light are on.

Rgds

Rick

2007 D3 A8 Sport 3.0 TDi, Phantom Black Pearl, Black Nappa, MMI High,Bluetooth, Bose, DAB, Reverse camera, Adaptive Headlights

To fit: AMI, Digital TV(How much did you say?!) Front disc/caliper upgrade??

Looking out for another 'interesting' D2

For rapid removals and Dogs days out: 1996 Volvo 850 GLT T5 Estate . Eibach and Koni lowered, Rica 265 bhp ecu, 2.5 cat back custom s/s exhaust, 180,000, and still going like a devils bat
Old 21st August 2011, 09:24 AM

Could just be a bulb... Do you have ones that turn, or the ones with the third bulb in?

I know.. I know..

Old 21st August 2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Could just be a bulb... Do you have ones that turn, or the ones with the third bulb in?
Thanks for your help, I have no clue which type I have, and no idea how to tell really. I have had a close look and think I can see the bulbs which apply, They are inn the centre of the whole headlamp and point outwards from the straight ahead position by about 20 degrees and are positioned in a small reflector which looks as though it may move as it has gaps around it. Sorry for crude description, but this subject is alien to me

2007 D3 A8 Sport 3.0 TDi, Phantom Black Pearl, Black Nappa, MMI High,Bluetooth, Bose, DAB, Reverse camera, Adaptive Headlights

For rapid removals and Dogs days out: 1996 Volvo 850 GLT T5 Estate . Eibach and Koni lowered, Rica 265 bhp ecu, 2.5 cat back custom s/s exhaust, 180,000, and still going like a devils bat
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:06 PM

i had same issue when i first bought the car

audi had to do something to fix.

cost 1 hour labour, if your friendly with them 1 hour could be anything from £60 to £130 odd

they are self leveling.

i have replaced both my headlights since with new ones, had the error message come up, took it for a drive, they settled down and error on dash went away.
Old 23rd August 2011, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devine_nathan View Post
i had same issue when i first bought the car

audi had to do something to fix.

cost 1 hour labour, if your friendly with them 1 hour could be anything from £60 to £130 odd

they are self leveling.

i have replaced both my headlights since with new ones, had the error message come up, took it for a drive, they settled down and error on dash went away.
cant say I currently even know any Audi dealers, but havnt carede for any I've come across. When you say you replaced your headlights, you mean the whole headlight, or just the adaptive part? Why did you replace them?

Old 23rd August 2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickbee View Post
cant say I currently even know any Audi dealers, but havnt carede for any I've come across. When you say you replaced your headlights, you mean the whole headlight, or just the adaptive part? Why did you replace them?
Car was involved in a little incident.

one headlight was ok, but looked odd next to a brand new one, so i replaced that too.

i mean the whole headlight. only thing that remained was my existing Xenon ballast as this is a seperate item.

both headlights came with the control box on the headlight.
Old 23rd August 2011, 03:38 PM

AAAhhh I understand, thanks for your help, suppose I will have to get the car interrogated

Old 26th August 2011, 12:32 PM

Managed to discover last night (in darkness) that I have the adaptive lights that turn, Nearside definitely works when steering is turned, offside does not work. Anyone know type of bulb required and if replacement is straightforward?

Rgds

Rick

Old 27th August 2011, 10:26 AM

No idea on bulb

phone audi parts they will tell you.

also, changing the bulbs, i recently did mine, but i had the wing liner off, so could easily get my hands round the back.

it looks very akward to do it with headlight still in, as you dont have clear access behind it.

specially not on the side with the airbox (on the 4.2's)
Old 2nd September 2011, 07:38 PM

Progress made on this problem....well sort of, fault is not a bulb.
My trusted independent garage who looks after my cars has read and cleared the error code for the adaptive headlight. Error returns, code is 02234. Ross Tech reports this as follows:

02234 - Right Headlight Power Output Stage (J668): No Signal/Communication
Possible Causes

Wiring from/to Right Headlight Power Output Stage (J668) faulty
Right Headlight Power Output Stage (J668) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check/Repair Wiring from/to Right Headlight Power Output Stage (J668)
Check/Replace Right Headlight Power Output Stage (J668)

Garage has not investigated further at this stage as I needed car back. Can anyone help me to interpret this fault. Reluctant to go to Audi dealer....brings me out in a rash

Rgds

Rick