A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - General

For Sale and Wanted - General Posting for buying / selling your own personal non vehicle related items

Old 10th January 2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
For my two penneth, its a bit underwhelming. Its a very basic spec for a D3 and its only interesting feature is the low mileage, which to be honest I dont find half as appealing as a well specced car in a nice colour combo...

Go take a look, but I suspect the one you look at after it will seem better
I agree, described as fully loaded which in my world means most if not all boxes ticked for options when ordered so where's (as I can see them on the pics) :
  • Solar sunroof
  • Adaptive Lights

Does it have :
  • Power boot
  • Detachable towbar
  • Home Link
  • Interior light pack
  • Rear heated seats
  • 4 zone climate
  • I could go on

He's obviously struggling to sell it as the PH price is £500 less than the windscreen price (just lazy IMHO) so may be able to get it cheaper.
Factory: Adaptive lights with coming home function, 19" wheels, Solar Sunroof, Bose, Nav, TV, Paddle shift sports wheel, sports suspension, sports seats, rear seats with electric lumbar adjustment, heated seats and climate all round, ski hatch, int light pack, auto dip/fold mirrors, voice command, cordless phone, wooden gear knob, towbar, power boot lid

After: LPG, AMI with HDD

Pending: DVB-T Tuner & fixing niggles
Old 10th January 2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Just personal experience with my parents Rangey, had numerous issues with LPG and has just put me off. I have no real need for the mileage, so would rather steer clear of LPG.
Did the Rangey have an old style evaporator system or a proper, more reliable, sequential injection system and was it fitted properly ?

From what I understand the old RR V8 wasn't happy on LPG for a number of reasons more often down to poorly fitted and calibrated conversions.

I was apprehensive myself when I bought mine and did have to sort out some of the niggles (coolant leaks, calibration and cheap injectors) but now I've sorted those (took a lot of research and learning about LPG) I would take the plunge again on any car.

LPG is a relative unknown to most of us but Google and, being happy to get your hands dirty help. I've had no problems with mine since sorting everything and would be shipping it to Australia but I can't justify the outlay with all the other expenditure.
Factory: Adaptive lights with coming home function, 19" wheels, Solar Sunroof, Bose, Nav, TV, Paddle shift sports wheel, sports suspension, sports seats, rear seats with electric lumbar adjustment, heated seats and climate all round, ski hatch, int light pack, auto dip/fold mirrors, voice command, cordless phone, wooden gear knob, towbar, power boot lid

Old 10th January 2013, 09:34 AM

Thanks for replies guys.

Yes, its not a great spec I dont think and not in the colour combo or alloys I'd want. The mileage is not an issue for me, so long as its well looked after and serviced (Which this sounds like it isnt). So the only thing going for it is the price, but I doubt I'd want to spend anywhere near £5k on it with all the niggling doubts highlighted on here

The other issue I have is there are 2 local to me which are more or less perfect for what I need spec wise, but both at £6k and no movement on price despite not being sold for 1/2+ months. I can't justify paying £1-2k more for just my preferred colour over cars that are priced at £5-£5.5k on ebay and pistonheads which havent shifted themselves in a month.
Old 10th January 2013, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Well, this might be stating the obvious but I'm another one who thinks you should be at least taking a look at Godders car. I dont know the car, but its a great colour with lots of toys and with slightly higher mileage it should come in on budget I should imagine. It sounds like a perfect fit apart from the LPG conversion, which everyone else would see as a bonus.

I've had more LPG Vw/Audi cars than I can count and I've honestly not had an issue with any one of them, the last one of which was a 2003 4.2 D3 now owned by gninnam

Ive had only one LPG converted Range rover and it blew the head gasket writing it off. I think you're confusing german build with the Midlands finest.

If you're desperately desperately not wanting the LPG, disable or remove it, both of which are cheap (if slightly bizarre) options and very do-able.

And no, I'm not on commision....

The Daily Town Car - 2023 Tesla Model Y Performance. Black with Black. Giant ipad screen, huge sunroof, 4 wheel drive, Tow bar, lots of ooomph and made in China, so actually built properly unlike the Californian ones.

The Family Wagon - 2018 Tesla Model X. Black, 7 Seats, Towbar, Homelink, Enhanced Auto pilot with Summon and self park, Heated front seats, CCS Charger upgrade, MCU2 Upgrade, Falconwing Doors, Self opening / closing doors, Netflix, Spotify, toys, Air suspension, alcantara roof + lots of other stuff......

The 17 year old Driver Wagon 2015 Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo. Alloys, Power steering, Aircon, Leccy windows, Sat Nav, bluetooth, central locking, cup holders, 59 whole bhp. Million times better than my first car. Well jealous.....

The First 20 Audis:

2001 D2 4.2 QS Silver, 1997 D2 S8 Silver, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2002 D2 S8 Dolphin Grey,
2003 C5 RS6 Blue, 1998 D2 S8 Black, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue, 2003 D3 4.2 Ming Blue,
2005 B7 S4 Blue, 2006 D3 3.0 Tdi Black, 1999 D2 4.2 Silver, 2003 D3 4.2 LPG Crystal Blue,
2000 D2 S8 Silver, 2007 3.0 Tdi Q7 Black, 2009 B8 S4 Black, 1998 D2 S8 Agate Grey,
2006 D3 4.2 Tdi Blue, 2006 D3 S8, 2007 Q7 3.0 Tdi, 2006 C6 S6,

The Second 20 Audis:

2011 A7 Sline, 2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2002 A2 1.4 Tdi Silver, 2006 A8 4.2 Tdi Blue,
2007 4.2 Tdi Q7, 2006 S4 Cab Silver, 2010 RS6 Saloon Black , 2007 TT Roadster,
2010 A8 D4 4.2 Silver, 2006 C6 A6 2.7 Tdi Quattro, 2000 D2 4.2 QS/S8 Ming Blue (again), 2008 Q7 4.2 Black,
2009 C6 RS6 Saloon Daytona Grey, 2001 Fully Loaded A2 Tdi, 2006 Avant S6 Black, 2007 VW Caravelle Exec Black (almost an Audi)
2009 TT Roadster Daytona, 2015 Q7 4.2 tdi lava grey, 2002 GmbH D2 demonstrator, 2006 D3 A8 LWB 4.2 Tdi Black

Most Recent Audis:

2001 A2 1.4 Tdi Black, 2007 4.2 FSi Q7 ABT Blue, 2016 S5 Coupe Launch model, 2004 S4 B6 Cabriolet, 2016 Q7 Sline White, 2006 Q7 4.2 FSi Black, 2012 Q7 Sline+ 4.2Tdi White, 2008 Blue Audi S8

Everything Else

1989 Subaru Justy, 1986 Vauxhall Cartlton 2.0 GL, 1985 Vauxhall Carlton 2.2 CDi, 1987 Ford Sierra XR4x4, 1983 Vauxhall Senator, 1985 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i, 1997 Polo Saloon, 1997 Peugeot 306 1.9 TDi, Ford Sierra Sapphire 2000E, 1990 Subaru Justy, 2000 Subaru Impreza, 2000 Subaru Impreza RB5, 1993 Range Rover LSE, 2005 VW Bora, 2003 Skoda Superb, 2003 VW Passat V6 4 Motion, 1996 Peugeot 106, 2000 Range Rover 4.0, 2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Old 10th January 2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godders View Post
Did the Rangey have an old style evaporator system or a proper, more reliable, sequential injection system and was it fitted properly ?

From what I understand the old RR V8 wasn't happy on LPG for a number of reasons more often down to poorly fitted and calibrated conversions.

I was apprehensive myself when I bought mine and did have to sort out some of the niggles (coolant leaks, calibration and cheap injectors) but now I've sorted those (took a lot of research and learning about LPG) I would take the plunge again on any car.

LPG is a relative unknown to most of us but Google and, being happy to get your hands dirty help. I've had no problems with mine since sorting everything and would be shipping it to Australia but I can't justify the outlay with all the other expenditure.
I will have to ask the parents to confirm what style system it was on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
Well, this might be stating the obvious but I'm another one who thinks you should be at least taking a look at Godders car. I dont know the car, but its a great colour with lots of toys and with slightly higher mileage it should come in on budget I should imagine. It sounds like a perfect fit apart from the LPG conversion, which everyone else would see as a bonus.

I've had more LPG Vw/Audi cars than I can count and I've honestly not had an issue with any one of them, the last one of which was a 2003 4.2 D3 now owned by gninnam

Ive had only one LPG converted Range rover and it blew the head gasket writing it off. I think you're confusing german build with the Midlands finest.

If you're desperately desperately not wanting the LPG, disable or remove it, both of which are cheap (if slightly bizarre) options and very do-able.

And no, I'm not on commision....
I am just really cautious based on previous experience. I agree it might not have any problems now, but thats not to say it wont in the future. My brother had his apprenticeship at Audi, and with my tooling I can get round most things but LPG scares me. I guess its just down to research, but I dont want the "what if" feeling everytime I hear an unfamiliar sound. Removing or disabling it will also give me the feeling of issues later on, I would much rather pay my hard earned onto a normal petrol.

I completely understand your point of view guys, I am just very risk adverse.
Old 10th January 2013, 01:07 PM

Sorry, another question.

What mileage is the belt usually done? And if its not done by mileage, what is the timescales it should be done by?

There is another I have my eye on which had its first belt at 90k, but is now at 135k. Trying to work out when it would next be due (Was it overdue at 90k, or is this normal?)
Old 10th January 2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
and with my tooling I can get round most things but LPG scares me. I guess its just down to research, but I dont want the "what if" feeling everytime I hear an unfamiliar sound.
LPG did scare me but they are really a simple system :
  • Tank in the back
  • 8mm copper piping to the reducer
  • Coolant to the reducer in circuit with the exisitng system
  • Flexible gas hose to a filter and then to injectors
  • Injectors are re-wired to allow LPG ECU to switch them on/off
  • Few other feeds into sensors, loom and vacuum
  • Gauge in the cabin

All in less complex than the standard system though obviously not as well engineered as 'factory' and down to how well its been installed. Whoever buys the car I'll happily bore them with how it all works and how to service / set-up etc

My car had been converted for the previous owner and suffered the usual install problems of leaking coolant (wrong size standard pipes on unions with over size clips), bad calibration and the injectors leaked (they were cheap horizontal Valteks and the rubbers were perished).

Where required :
  • I replaced the leaking pipes with silicone or brass reducers and connectors where necessary and correct size clamps.
  • Worked out how to properly calibrate the system
  • Replaced the injectors with vertical mount REG by OMVL rails
  • Added a balance pipe on the back of the two rails to equalise pressure as I was getting occasional lean running on a bank at WOT
  • Fixed the vacuum feed on the manifold, the installer managed to fit a union in the manifold that restricted the movement of the internal flaps so torque was affected

Don't get me wrong my car is no prom princess and at 174k she has a few scuffs and scratches (I'm picky) but mechanically she's spot on and is good for a few miles yet.

I have one electrical niggle I need to fix before sale (roof lights) but I'm sure whoever buys her will be happy - well happier that I was when I bought it. I ended up in court with the trader but that's another story

Last edited by Godders; 10th January 2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10th January 2013, 02:16 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
I can't justify paying £1-2k more for just my preferred colour over cars that are priced at £5-£5.5k on ebay and pistonheads which havent shifted themselves in a month.
Just goes to show how different we all are - I happily paid top dollar for my current '8 because it was just the right colour combination and a FE. I wouldn't even think of buying a car if the colour wasn't what I wanted - even if it was cheap.

(Am I turning into a girl? )
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 10th January 2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post

If you are then we need to change your name to "Her_Lairdyship"

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 10th January 2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Just goes to show how different we all are - I happily paid top dollar for my current '8 because it was just the right colour combination and a FE. I wouldn't even think of buying a car if the colour wasn't what I wanted - even if it was cheap.

£2k more for just the colour? Not for me, if not for just the sheer principle (You girl :P ), then you could get it wrapped for cheaper