A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 3rd June 2020, 10:58 PM

Your spacing looks very similar to mine MJ, the American rear I posted was definitely closer.
I'll see what if anything the badge I've ordered tells me about spacing.

(Interestingly I have a Polestar badge for my Volvo that I haven't fitted; that comes with a very specific holder/template for totally precise fixing.)
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 4th June 2020, 11:55 AM

MJ I'm surprised you don't have a 3D printed jig for these lol
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 4th June 2020, 12:01 PM

I tend to take the model designation off so I have no need to stick them on in the right place
Old 11th June 2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I'll see what if anything the badge I've ordered tells me about spacing.
Well it just arrived and what it tells me is that the seller is at best making errors or at worst a fraud!
The listing clearly shows something very close to the original, what arrived was clearly a poor clone, not even the same shape or size!
In fact it's not even the size specified in the listing (which would be correct) but only about a three-quarters version.

As opposed to the picture in the eBay listing, which looks correct:

Refund/return via eBay is the "order of the day".

Just wondering, is the D3 S8 badge smaller, could that be what was sent in "genuine" error?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BlatantlyWrong.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	23468  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 11th June 2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 12th June 2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Well it just arrived and what it tells me is that the seller is at best making errors or at worst a fraud!
And to be fair I think they may have made a genuine error in the original listing which has now been updated though it is at a slightly higher price.
They're sending me a correct version and have provided a prepaid label to return the incorrect one, which is of course as it should be.
From comments in their messages I think they mixed up part numbers and descriptions between a smaller cheaper version and the full-size one I want.
Old 16th June 2020, 09:48 AM

There are so many fakes on ebay, copies

I taped mine up when i pulled the old faded one off and replaced with a fresh new one looks so much better
Mercedes Benz CLS 500 - Sold
Corsa VXR Nurburgring - Sold
RS6 Avant Grey - Sold
Seat Leon Cupra R - Sold
Old 16th June 2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS6 View Post
There are so many fakes on ebay, copies
I'm expecting a copy. I just want something relatively cheap that looks the same to replace my current badge when I remove it.
And it arrived today, looks indistiguishable from the original - though that may not be OEM either as it's in the wrong place.....

If it comes off cleanly and looks OK after tidying up I'll put it back on again, but what do people recommend for fixing?

FYI the spacing between the S and 8 on the "clone" badge is about 4mm horizontally at the "back" of the characters where they fix to the bonnet. (MJ's looks about 7mm)
It doesn't have any positioning information but there is a sticky transparent film on top to maintain alignment between the two parts when fixing.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PlasticS8badge.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	23488  

Last edited by HPsauce; 16th June 2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 17th June 2020, 11:24 AM

Interesting, I think I spent more on dental floss getting the old badge off than the replacement cost!
The two are totally indistinguishable (apart from aging and a duller red); same plastic materials, surface finish, shape, adhesive type etc. etc.

The old one has the correct part number on the back under the adhesive as well - are OEM badges plastic?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	S8oldandnew.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	23489  

Last edited by HPsauce; 17th June 2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 17th June 2020, 11:25 AM

Yeah, chromed plastic
Old 17th June 2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Yeah, chromed plastic
Thanks.

Now I need to clean up the surface and make a template to get the alignment right for fitting. I'm working on 20mm in from the left and 25mm up from the bottom (for the rhombus) as a start.