A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 19th December 2014, 08:14 PM

Default D3 S8 5.2 V10 FSI Vs D3 W12 6.0

Hey ladies and gents!

Having done with my D3 4.2, I find myself hankering after another D3.

Yeah, yeah, a diesel would be a sensible buy. But, a frugal D3 running on heavy oil doesn't appeal to me. Fuel consumption isn't really a consideration, I'm quite happy to swap MPG for SPM (Smiles Per Mile).

I am looking at two similarly-powered models, the S8 and W12. I have driven an S8, without exploiting its true potential, as I was picking up the car for a client, and didn't want to risk breaking something just before delivery.

For those who may have driven both models, how did they compare? I'm aware the S8's suspension is tuned for handling, so I'm looking more at outright pace, comfort and of course ultimate luxury.

I look forward to reading from different perspectives.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 20th December 2014, 05:24 PM

Ultimate luxury is a stupidly spec'd W12. Smooth as silk and very deceptively quick. Gorgeous drive and makes you feel like king of the castle. Still handles well.

S8 is still a luxury car of course, but the gearbox is more reactive, the engine is more alive but in all honesty no faster than the W12. Suspension is stiffer and feels more sporty with the finish that the luxury of the W12.

Either is a good car. Expect to pay at least 25% more for an S8 than a W12.

I have the same dilemma and went for the S8 at £18k over £12k for a W12. Loved the S8, but equally was it wirth £6k more.... It did have the Bang and Olufsen which was AMAZING.

You need to drive both and decide that way. There are some W12 with so many extras it's unreal.
Old 20th December 2014, 05:28 PM

Get both. Then you can only get it right. A car to suit your mood each day.
A W12 for when your feeling classy
An S8 for when your feeling sporty.... and classy
Old 20th December 2014, 05:32 PM

Thanks for your response, Doc.

The S8 is sportier than the W12, that's for sure. Would you say the S8 has a shorter final drive? I'm going by the D2 in this respect.

B&O, ACC and solar are definite must haves.

2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 20th December 2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
Get both. Then you can only get it right. A car to suit your mood each day.
A W12 for when your feeling classy
An S8 for when your feeling sporty.... and classy
Lolz...I like both my kidneys, so I can't afford to auction any of them off.

Old 21st December 2014, 12:17 AM

For me the allure of the legendary v10 was what originally found me looking at s8's.

Can't say that I was disappointed other than it would be nice if it had a couple of turbos too.

The other things that drew me to the s8 was the finish in the inside, the carbon, alcantara ans leather just looks right in my opinion.

As far as options I wanted b&o acc, solar, ceramics along with all the usual toys as well lowish mileage.

However once you start looking in earnest you may find that Grail a little difficult to find.

In the end I had to accept that I may never find the ideal car in a second hand market and bought one that ticked most of the boxes and ended up without the acc which bugs me on long journeys but otherwise I still love the car.

If the toys are more important than the which engine configuration then you might be better looking round the w12 market as they tend to have most toys from new.

Goidluck on the hunt whichever animal you decide to go for.

Last edited by Delboy; 21st December 2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 21st December 2014, 06:32 AM

Thanks, Del!

Old 21st December 2014, 06:55 AM

the solar roof is probably the only one of those you could contemplate retrofitting. Can't imagine it's much harder than on a D2?

ACC on the S8s is a very rare option - more chance of finding B&O though

I'd have one at the prices they're down to now!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 21st December 2014, 07:06 AM

Interesting early one

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...0-2006/3188846

ACC but no mention of miles

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...s8-v10/3188890

ACC but can't see B&O

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...50-bhp/3166677

ACC again (not as rare as I thought!)

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...p-auto/2971869

Ref the gearing differences, from memory the S8 and W12 SWB share the same gearing, but the LWB is longer geared for cruising

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 21st December 2014, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the links, Adrian.

I'm leaning more towards the W12 LWB. Rear seat entertainment and electric side blinds are pretty common on them too.