A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 6th February 2020, 09:34 PM
Banned

Default Oil in coolant 2.8QS

Hello

My A8 is getting oil in coolant but its not overheating and never has even on 250 mile trip of non stop driving.

My mechanic tells me it has to be headgasket and wants to pull the engine apart and re do it all which is crazy expensive..

I've looked on forums and its possible that it may be just the oil cooler.. the engine also intermittenly smokes from just about where the oil cooler is and it smells of oil too..

Am I being too optimistic or is my mechanic just looking to top up his retirement fund?
Old 6th February 2020, 10:28 PM

Its almost certainly the oil cooler. Its a common problem and very easy to change on the 2.8 whereas head gasket failure is pretty much unheard of.

Make sure you flush the cooling system thoroughly after changing the cooler as the emulsion gets everywhere and hangs around. I have a V8 which suffered the same failure, and after a new cooler was fitted it was written off simply because the cooling system wasn't cleaned properly so there was still oil in the coolant I used Forte Bio Degreaser to clean it out which was very effective.

Old 7th February 2020, 11:17 AM
Banned

Thanks Mikki. Do you think one bottle is enough? I'd like to flush it a few times to make sure its done properly. I have already ordered an oil cooler from Hella.
Old 7th February 2020, 11:22 AM

Depends how bad it is tbh. If its just traces of oil one bottle should do it. If its full of mayonnaise then I'd do it at least twice. I had to do the aforementioned V8 twice.

The cooler should come with an o-ring seal for where it joins the block, but looking at Etka on some variants its a separate part. Worth checking whether the cooler you've ordered comes with one or not.
Old 7th February 2020, 11:38 AM
Banned

Its only traces but i will do it twice just to be safe. The cooler does come with a seal. Thanks for your help!