A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 16th January 2017, 01:40 PM

Default Something new...

Ever since I have decided to keep this car, its like fate has decided to test me... the latest weirdo issue I have is that while driving to Bristol today in the pouring rain, the car's dash appeared to blink intermittently, specifically the brightness on the mileage and trip mileage counter, the date and time bits (LCD)

This also appears to be easy to invoke by pressing two switches on the drivers side window buttons up at the same time while the windows are already at max and nowhere to go - presumably simulating a load drain.

The Nav system also threw a wobbly a few times and said: "Check Navigation DVD" but would come back after a few minutes. If I turned the stereo system off, I get a loud pop sound after about 5 minutes, almost like someone turning a guitar amp off.

I am not electrically minded, so these might be odd assumptions, but is it likely to be water ingress somewhere creating a short, or an earthing issue, or something else thats going to cost me thousands and thousands to fix?

I am in Bristol all week, thankfully brought my VCDS cable but am working now, so can't scan yet, but I suspect it'll just come up with the usually quiescent error.

Additionally for background, I've been trying to find this random battery drain issue, over the weekend I had the car on the CTEK and she was fully charged this morning, but two minutes into my drive and the dimming thing happened. So I know its not the battery (or is it?) - the error I had with the previous door handle on the O/S Rear should be gone though as its had a new handle (awaiting secondary microswitch from Germany) but the Kessy system now works on that handle (I replaced it thinking water ingress as others have experienced)

Alternator flutter maybe?

Any help appreciated

Last edited by 1781cc; 16th January 2017 at 01:42 PM.
Old 16th January 2017, 05:36 PM

Could it be the water ingress from the rear screen? Whichever side it's on, there are plenty of electrics to affect - either the stereo equipment on one side or the battery module on the other.

Have a quick check for dampness/leaks.

2008 Audi S8
Old 16th January 2017, 06:00 PM

I thought that, new screen will be in hopefully at the weekend (its on its way from the fatherland) so will know more about it.

That said, if the alternator isn't putting out enough power to charge the battery, that would explain a lot or the battery management ecu is off kilter maybe. certainly if its not charging properly it would explain why the battery error is persistent even with a new battery.

That said, I really hope it isn't, I say Lucas alternators for this thing are watercooled and cost £829 at the moment from ECP (but they have no stock) - let alone labour!
Old 16th January 2017, 06:27 PM

Another forum mentioned a potential DIY fix for these battery drain issues recently. I'll see if I can find the thread...

2008 Audi S8
Old 16th January 2017, 07:14 PM

Has it had a new battery ? How old is battery ?
Old 16th January 2017, 07:21 PM

Battery is three weeks old, varta jobbie as recommended by Marcin, it was coded and accepted by the car
Old 16th January 2017, 08:52 PM

Battery should be good then , the symptoms sound a little like voltage or amps regulation varying a little .

From cold, start up and watch voltage and amps output in the data blocks , when the dash is playing up a bit if you turn on courtesy lights do they seem to be having a flutter also

Watch the amps output in the data blocks and put all loads on in car .....heated seats , heated screens , lights , blower .....everything and see what output the alternator can put out
Old 16th January 2017, 09:22 PM

It could be as simple as an earth strap, might be worth a visit to an auto electrician rather than replacing parts one by one.
Old 16th January 2017, 09:59 PM

Thanks peeps, will start some investigations! Earth strap, didn't think of that, just like my TT. That's feasible!
Old 28th January 2017, 12:29 PM

Problem solved and updated here:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....7&postcount=41