A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > VCDS (aka Vagcom)

VCDS (aka Vagcom) For all your electronic debug / diag advice queries and mods.

Old 18th April 2012, 08:13 AM

Default 01119 - Gear Recognition Signal - in ABS??

Hi all,

As sod's law would have it I sold my car on Sunday and it was going to be picked up yesterday so it decided to throw the check engine light in a huff!!!

The code is 01119 - Gear Recognition Signal and stored in the ABS menu.

I've only checked it on my basic vag-com scanner so don't have the full details but will be checking it with an Autel later that should give the full break down.

From what I've read it could be related to having the CV boot changed last week and perhaps the ABS sensor line is damaged or there is grease on the abs tone ring. I took the sensor out and cleaned it up but the code eventually came back. Always seems to take about 40-50 miles before it throws the CEL.

Ill get the disc off and give the ring a check/clean tomorrow. Also going to get a working ABS sensor in case.

Also folk have mentioned on the web that it could be related to the F125 (is it?) switch on the gearbox that checks the switch on the gearstick. All gears seem to be operating fine on auto/tip/steering wheel.

Some folk mention it being related to the reverse gear hub breaking in the gearbox. Reverse works fine.

Generally seems to change gear as it did before the error came up.

Real stumper this as the car drives absolutely fine. No gearbox or abs issues noticable at all.

If anyone has any ideas on this one the beer is on me!!

Cheers

John
Old 18th April 2012, 09:03 AM

F125 on mine didn't throw a code on the dash, but did light the gear selector indicator in the dis all red and box goes into limp mode - probably can rule that out from the description

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 18th April 2012, 09:24 AM

Default 01119

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for the info. Some had suggested a dirty contact on the F125 switch too. I think that is reasonably easy to get to underneath so may have a quick gander.

Also seen some folk mention the selector switch in the gearstick. I did notice, about a month ago, one day it was quite stiff going from P to R. Seemed to go away though and certainly shifts from P to R fine.

Hmmm

Ta

John
Old 18th April 2012, 10:11 AM

I have this code in ABS from time to time, but it doesn't throw CEL:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1871

There must be something else that brings up the CEL.
Old 24th April 2012, 03:50 PM

I had this code pop up once about a couple of years ago, I cleared it, it has never returned.
Old 6th January 2013, 10:09 AM

Solution here:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1871