A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 21st January 2018, 03:57 PM

I hadn’t taken any offence Lee 👍🏻.

I like to think I’m competent, but sometimes I get impatient and forgetful. I blame parenthood and age.

Anyway, small update. Took the front wheels off today, (2°C in the rain. I’m bonkers, but it meant I couldn’t visit the in-laws) and stripped the brakes down, and cleaned everything once more, and refitted with new slider pins and some sparingly applied silicone grease.

Had a small drive and the brakes seem much improved, but I’ll reserve judgement till I’ve been to work and back.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 29th January 2018, 08:17 PM

Update 2.

Having previously used the brakes gingerly for a few thousand miles I followed an EBC guide to bedding in brakes:

‘make a further 10 stops from 60 mph to 10 mph in succession with a deliberate attempt to get the brakes hot. Some smells may occur even slight smoke during this final heat up stage of the pads in early life. Then coast the vehicle for a mile to allow discs to cool. Do not pull up and park vehicle with brake excessively hot. You must try to get the discs down to below 60-80 degrees C temperature before parking the vehicle’.

This seems to have VASTLY improved things. I’ve yet to really needed to stomp on the brakes, but under normal use the pedal movement seems to have normalised.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 9th April 2018, 10:34 AM

Update 3.

Spoke with ECP’s, as the brakes still aren’t bob on having replaced the retaining springs recently. Going to exchange the Brembo front pads and discs this Saturday for Pagids. We’ll see how that pans out.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 9th April 2018, 11:27 AM

That's a very interesting report of ECP's suspect branded parts. I try to use genuine parts whenever possible, but for brakes & clutches etc ECP are too cheap to ignore. I had an A4 wheel bearing from them last only 2 weeks before it was groaning again. It wasn't worth the hassle to go through their warranty process so I just bought another one from ebay which has been fine.

I bought a Bosch airflow meter for my S8 from them a couple of years ago, and recently I've been feeling like its gone bad again, but kept telling myself 'its a proper Bosch one, it can't be bad in only ten thousand miles'. I wonder...?
Old 9th April 2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
That's a very interesting report of ECP's suspect branded parts. I try to use genuine parts whenever possible, but for brakes & clutches etc ECP are too cheap to ignore. I had an A4 wheel bearing from them last only 2 weeks before it was groaning again. It wasn't worth the hassle to go through their warranty process so I just bought another one from ebay which has been fine.

I bought a Bosch airflow meter for my S8 from them a couple of years ago, and recently I've been feeling like its gone bad again, but kept telling myself 'its a proper Bosch one, it can't be bad in only ten thousand miles'. I wonder...?
This. Don’t want to think bad of ECP’s, but it doesn’t look good for them from mine and others’ experiences. I’ve heard of Bosch items from ECP’s failing quite often, on here and in ‘real life’ which doesn’t sit right with me, Bosch being Bosch...

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 9th April 2018, 01:36 PM

I'm watching you John with concern.
I'm due to replace my front pads and was planning on ECP (five minute walk from ours) but now

Some of you will remember me having to park up during one of last year's annual meet convoy runs with a brake(?) problem. A stone had flicked up the inside of my front offside wheel, and bent the bracket up and inwards towards the car. The bracket is the one that supports the brake pipes and the pad wear sensor cable. In their infinite "we know best" wisdom Audi have made the sensor cable a smidgen too short which leaves it under constant tension. This is known to stretch the copper inside the insulation and can cause it to snap. It also puts undue tension on the plug/socket on the bracket and in my case this was the problem. Luckily cleared it by bending(?) the bracket straighter(?) so it more or less resembled the nearside bracket.
This appeared to work until last week "Brake Pads Worn" signals started again.I've looked and the offside is good. I opened the plug/socket and put a short across the socket, still had the problem. Went to nearside and that bracket had bent out of shape slightly. The tension on the sensor wire was extreme. Reshaped the bracket, problem still there. Split the plug/socket, shorted the socket pins, problem solved. Finally managed to clear the problem by giving the plug/socket internals a WD40 bath.
Now runnig good until something else pops up inside the wheel arch.
I suggest that whenever you have your front wheels off that you look at releaving the tension on the sensor wires.
Perhaps we could start a class action against Audi????
We want more wire

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)

Last edited by tc4332; 9th April 2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 9th April 2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Perhaps we could start a class action against Audi????
We want more wire
Good idea, that's how mine went south.
In the end, I shorted two pins of the instrument cluster plug as it is now an MOT failure to have the light on and I can't risk it popping on.

New failures

There are now failures for:
brake lining or pad wear indicator illuminated
Old 14th April 2018, 09:39 PM

Ok. So the off side calliper holder was seized on to the hub. Lots of WD40 and blow torch later and the thing was off. Fitted the Pagid discs and pads, the fit seems much better, the noisy groan/Whale call is seemingly absent and the rattle over bumps is thankfully no more!!!

Haven’t driven at speed, but I’m hoping the fluctuating pedal will be no more. Who knows.

Ray the Pagid pads’ wear sensor wire even seems a little longer.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

Old 14th April 2018, 11:01 PM

Thanks John.
Touch wood mines been OK all week.
If yours stays good I'll probably go for the Pagids.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 15th April 2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Thanks John.
Touch wood mines been OK all week.
If yours stays good I'll probably go for the Pagids.
If you do I’d definitely suggest you get the Pagid retaining spring too Ray. Just to be sure they play nicely together. This one:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F08287B2-95C9-4C94-8566-1841A375B4DA.jpeg
Views:	243
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	18445  

2007 Mini Cooper S R56