A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18th August 2012, 06:10 AM

Default LED taillamp project thread

Hello all, I figure I'll post info and photos as I go along on my project. I'm converting my rear lamps to LED to improve output and visibility, and to modernize the look a bit. I'm taking an approach on this project that I want the look to remain OEM, and I want an improvement, not downgrade, in the lighting.

I'll be using components from the 2000-2005 Cadillac Deville. I chose this rather than going to the aftermarket because of the look they produce. I feel these are closest to what Audi would have done during that era, and I feel these are excellent lamps. Here is a photo of the brake lamp on the Deville illuminated:

These lamps produce this look because of a Fresnel lens placed behind the outer red lens. This provides a pretty even, completely illuminated look. The outer lens is pretty damned identical to the D2 lens.

I'm going to keep the segmenting of the D2 rear lamps. Rectangle of turn signal, rectangle of brake and running lamp, then in the boot rectangle of running lamp and then rear fog. This will mean I have roughly 21 LEDs and 21 tiny Fresnel lenses in each pocket. I'm going to experiment with amber and green LEDs in the turn signal to produce amber (in US-spec cars the turn is red normally). I'm going to place 2-4 LEDs in the corners as well to maintain US side-visibility standards. Those will be exposed rather than behind a Fresnel lens.

Here are some photos of the Cadillac lamps opened up in order to better explain what I'm saying.

Using wiring diagrams from my shop's All-Data system, and some trial and error, we figured out what pins on the current board illuminates which LEDs. We used a DC test station to determine amperages, and voltage needed to illuminate at acceptable levels (12v for brake lamps, and for running lamps we found 8.5 volts to be correct. That means an in-line resistor will be needed for running lamps and that will be bypassed for brakes).

I've opened up the boot lenses already. To do this I used a soldering iron with a cutting tip. I'll clean the cuts up and make them more attractive before sealing them again, so excuse the jagged appearance for the moment (when held together/redeemed the cut will be invisible anyway. Also, a larger, clear, inner-lens was removed from the brake light (single Fresnel-style).

As I begin cutting the LED panel and placing the diodes and as I do the same with the tiny Fresnel lens I'll update this thread. I think I did ok for one day though, working this in with my actual duties at my shop.

Also on the agenda is another little LED/styling project I've begun- using D3-style fender repeaters. Today I removed the belt molding, cut in the repeater, started trimming the aluminum trim, cut out aluminum to be welded into the current repeater holes, and began the plastic repair/molding on the belt trim to make the fit correct. That should be a great looking modification when finished.