A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 25th May 2017, 02:58 PM

Default D3 Starter Power Probe

Hi All

I have had an on-going starter issue with my D3 and I am now in a position to hit it with a Power Probe. It has been standing for a while and nothing happens when I turn the key - its had a new battery and all the ignition lights come on but no sound, I was advised to try and power probe the starter as they don't like being left stood.

I have removed the battery and I am waiting for my PP3 to arrive so I can give the starter a kick, failing that its off to the garage for a new one.

I am not sure where the starter is located and how easy it is to get to in order to power probe it. I can jack it up (it has a full cover underneath ) and access underneath and I can access the engine but not much room in there either!

does anyone know the best way to access the starter to get a probe on it?

Thanks
Old 26th May 2017, 10:32 AM

This might also not be the cause - could also be the crankshaft position sensor especially if you've noticed that the car has more trouble starting when its hot than cold for a period before it stopped starting at all?

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 26th May 2017, 11:43 AM

Default Starter

Thanks for that, its never had any issues starting, I just stopped using it and didnt start it regularly enough...
Old 26th May 2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8L View Post
Thanks for that, its never had any issues starting, I just stopped using it and didnt start it regularly enough...
ok maybe not then! carry on that man! It might just be a poorly earthed earth cable as well so investigate that

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 27th May 2017, 03:24 PM

Default A8 D3 Power Probe

Still cant see it with the passenger side wheel and cover off

Any Clues? Do I need to remove the under cover too - power probe at the ready!!
Old 27th May 2017, 03:28 PM

Default A8 D3 Power Probe

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8929.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	16164
Old 29th May 2017, 09:52 AM

Default Problem solved :)

Just thought I would provide an update on this.

ITS FIXED

So I bought a the Power Probe III, nice tool only I didn't get to use it on my starter motor.

I had previously bought a new battery from Halfrauds and attempted to start the beast with it, no joy, so I tried numerous variations of battery off my co' car (lol), new battery, without success, I did get ignition lights but that's it. I suspected the attempted car starts drained my new battery so as I already had a CTEK battery charger it made sense to charge the new battery fully and try again

Oddly (or not) the new battery wouldn't fully charge and never got past '4' on the charger - it should get to '7'. So basically the new battery wouldn't hold a charge.

Foolishly, I didn't think much of it because it was still reading 12.5v. As the starter wouldn't turn over my last ditch attempt to get the beast running was to power probe the starter motor. My shiny new Power Probe III arrived and I was keen to get to the starter and give it a go. I needed to jack the car up to get access to the starter so it was back to Halfrauds for some decent axle stands and wheel chocs, oh and while I am there I may as well return the battery as it has a 5 year guarantee.

Halfrauds tested the new battery, 5.4V, ran a quick test and nada, zilch, kapoot, yes a useless battery. I can't imagine me trying to start the beast with it would kill it as its brand new and should be able to fully recharge and hold that charge right? Anyway I got my axle stand, chocs and another new battery which I made him charge and test before I took it home.

first thing was to put the new battery on and test, nothing. In fact worse, I now had no lights whatsoever, just interior lights nothing on the ignition etc so after connecting my CTEK charger to the new battery I carried on with the starter motor plan.

I took the passenger side wheel off, took the cover off and could just about see the alternator, no sign of the starter. I checked the battery and it had got to '6' already on my CTEK which was good, not seen that before!

Anyway, I started testing all my fuses with the Power Probe and they were all fine. I was reading a thread on AudiWorld for no crank and some guys were talking about locking and unlcokin the doors with the key and retry so I was messing with the key opening and closing the doors and I thought I'd try again.

I put the key in, turned the key and all the lights came one, I mean every light!!! doors open, bonnet, boot open lights etc I mean every single light on the beast came on! Time to try a start so I turned it over and low and behold THE STARTER TURNED OVER

I didn't want to kill it so I left it for 5 mins before trying again and you guessed it - the beast roared into life

VCDS done and apart from the EPB which I know about, all good so after I have taken it for a clean and a riiipppp round the motorways its off for a MOT

Thanks to everyone who shared info on this and shared my pain