A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 14th December 2014, 11:11 AM

ive bought a roadhawk 720hd but it came with a ciggy plug power source and will buy a hardwire kit after xmas
Old 14th December 2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
ive bought a roadhawk 720hd but it came with a ciggy plug power source and will buy a hardwire kit after xmas
Lloyd, you can purchase a 12v Female Cigarette Lighter Socket, similar to the following:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Female...item233e0a0244

The_Laird - Apologies Jim, having just seen Lloyds post, it reminded me that I also bought the above socket as well.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 14th December 2014, 01:22 PM

Road hawk do a proper hardwire kit that will give a nice tidy install
Old 15th December 2014, 05:55 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post

The_Laird - Apologies Jim, having just seen Lloyds post, it reminded me that I also bought the above socket as well.
Why, if you hard wired it?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 15th December 2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
Why, if you hard wired it?
I honestly can't remember why I did it. It may have been because the lead came with a cigarette lighter plug on it, and rather than cut it off to wire it in, as the wire is quite thin, I just used the adaptor which has decent thickness wire.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

Old 21st December 2014, 04:11 PM

Hi All,
I have a D3 2004.
There are no ignition fed fuses on the right hand fuse box.
There are two (31 & 32 in my case) in the left hand fuse box.
I have wired my camera as described in the foregoing writeup but on the left instead of the right. At the same time I have added a tyre pressure monitor to the same "add a fuse" connector.
Thanks Steamship for a clear and concise description.
Old 21st December 2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
I honestly can't remember why I did it. It may have been because the lead came with a cigarette lighter plug on it, and rather than cut it off to wire it in, as the wire is quite thin, I just used the adaptor which has decent thickness wire.
Finally figured out why I used the cigarette lighter adaptor. The USB connector is a 5V feed to the camera and the cigarette lighter supplies 12V, so it wasn't a simple case of cutting the cigarette lighter adaptor off and wiring it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Thanks Steamship for a clear and concise description.
Glad it was of use. The forum has been great, and since I can't offer much in the way of mechanical advice, this is my way of saying thanks to everyone here.

Old 26th December 2014, 12:29 PM

Laird, did you wire the 12v feed into the USB cable or gut the internals of the CIG adapter and keep the 5v stepdown?

I've just got mine (801 version) and have been having a little play with it
Old 26th December 2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycaca View Post
Laird, did you wire the 12v feed into the USB cable or gut the internals of the CIG adapter and keep the 5v stepdown?

I've just got mine (801 version) and have been having a little play with it
That'll teach me to read properly! I'll butcher the CIG lighter and keep the 12v step down
Old 26th December 2014, 12:55 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Not fitted mine yet. It was a Christmas present. But I'm still confused about the power source. Sean first said that he's used a piggy back fuse (which I bought) and then there was talk about the cigarette lighter adapter.

Perhaps it'll be clearer once I get it unpacked
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).