A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Generic A8 / S8 forums > A8 / S8 Generic Posts

A8 / S8 Generic Posts All other useful info

Old 17th June 2015, 02:31 PM

Default 1998 Audi S8 D2 Pre facelift

Hi guyz & girlz

1998 Audi S8 D2 Pre Facelift

Another noob not looking properly on forum.

Can any 1 tell me the upgrades i can do to my S8.

Soz again

Jim
Old 17th June 2015, 02:34 PM

Cosmetic or performance?

I can't help on the D2, but someone will be along shortly

2004 A8 3.7q, 1998 A4 2.8q, 1994 Coupe 2.8q SORN,
Old 17th June 2015, 02:56 PM

Default Here's a few to start the ball rolling...

1. 20" FE alloys - generally regarded as improving the looks significantly, but pricey (probably £700+ for the alloys, plus more expensive tyres). A number of us run 20s as summer wheels, with (original?) 18" as winters.
2 - Solar sunroof (if you don't already have one..). Great for keeping the cabin cool in the summer (i.e. now! .). Can be had for c.£200, though fitting it is a bit tricky - there's a thread on "how to" on here
3 - Audio upgrade: to RNS-D/Bose (if you don't already have that), or to RNS-E if you do. Both make a significant difference if you listen to music much.
4 - Exhaust upgrade to a Miltek (or similar). Costs about a grand new and fitted, I think, and this is the one upgrade I'm still waiting to do. These are harder to get hold of these days for S8's, but can still be done (hopefully!)
5. Engine chip/upgrade - there's a number of these around, but they generally on the D2 tend to make the engine more tractable/smoother, rather than upping the power, but others may advise otherwise.

There are loads of other mods you can do, and this forum is full of them - as stated in the previous post, as well as getting general advice, you may want to decide what area you want to upgrade, and then look at the threads in that area. Whatever you choose to do, it's all part of the fun of 8 ownership, and somebody here will be able to help
Old 17th June 2015, 03:33 PM

Welcome.
Minor lighting LED upgrades such as interior/boot, rear numberplate and front sidelights. That's a LOT of bulbs by the way.
Change side indicator plastics from orange to clear, works better with some body colours and you'll need new bulbs too.

Replace armrests with facelift type.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 17th June 2015, 08:18 PM

I can help you with bulb upgrades (interior and exterior) as I did some on my PF and they made a big difference to me, in terms of looks and light quality. Also can advise with the indicators and side repeaters, I did those too

The biggest upgrade you can do your S8 though is the FE 20's as mentioned by Tintin, and as it happens, I can help you with those too

We're only half an hour from each other, we should meet soon.....

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 18th June 2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylondon View Post
Cosmetic or performance?

I can't help on the D2, but someone will be along shortly

Cosmetic m8 car is bloody fast enough for me :-)
Old 18th June 2015, 01:31 PM

Ye the wheels are a must i think.

Would love the sun roof but for £200 good price but me fitting is a defo NO NO :-)

And exhaust demo just don't think there is enough rumble for the V8 don't want anything to loud :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
1. 20" FE alloys - generally regarded as improving the looks significantly, but pricey (probably £700+ for the alloys, plus more expensive tyres). A number of us run 20s as summer wheels, with (original?) 18" as winters.
2 - Solar sunroof (if you don't already have one..). Great for keeping the cabin cool in the summer (i.e. now! .). Can be had for c.£200, though fitting it is a bit tricky - there's a thread on "how to" on here
3 - Audio upgrade: to RNS-D/Bose (if you don't already have that), or to RNS-E if you do. Both make a significant difference if you listen to music much.
4 - Exhaust upgrade to a Miltek (or similar). Costs about a grand new and fitted, I think, and this is the one upgrade I'm still waiting to do. These are harder to get hold of these days for S8's, but can still be done (hopefully!)
5. Engine chip/upgrade - there's a number of these around, but they generally on the D2 tend to make the engine more tractable/smoother, rather than upping the power, but others may advise otherwise.

There are loads of other mods you can do, and this forum is full of them - as stated in the previous post, as well as getting general advice, you may want to decide what area you want to upgrade, and then look at the threads in that area. Whatever you choose to do, it's all part of the fun of 8 ownership, and somebody here will be able to help
Old 18th June 2015, 01:34 PM

Ohh Ron

Nice them wheels really would like them but my wallet is a bit tight atm but you could send me a pm and tell me the asking price please.

And ye plz help with the light .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
I can help you with bulb upgrades (interior and exterior) as I did some on my PF and they made a big difference to me, in terms of looks and light quality. Also can advise with the indicators and side repeaters, I did those too

The biggest upgrade you can do your S8 though is the FE 20's as mentioned by Tintin, and as it happens, I can help you with those too

Old 19th June 2015, 08:05 AM

Ye i would like that Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post

Old 19th June 2015, 08:46 AM

The Milltek exhaust is no longer in production - I did try and find out whether there were any in Europe in the dealer network, but I'm assuming the lack of response means there isn't (Milltek promised to try and find numbers)

As noted in another thread on here somewhere the only way they'd make another batch is if 8 orders were forthcoming. Mine cost the previous owner £1k for cats back system. it's not, but I'd struggle to justify £1k nice!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC