A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 16th November 2013, 06:12 PM

Thumbs up Zimmermann Drilled Discs

Hi

I'd like to share my experience with my recent purchase from Germany.

Set of 4 Drilled Zimmermann Sport discs with Coat Z.

There isn't much special about it other than it's from a very reputable brakes manufacturer offering very good quality discs with a Coat Z which is basically a coating which prevents rusting and thats quiet important on cars like ours, imagine a A8 with nice big wheels and rusted discs, ughh
So no more rust on the edges, hub part and inside of the wholes as well, basically whole disc is treated.

Here are some links:

http://www.otto-zimmermann.de/en/pro...sscheiben.html

http://www.otto-zimmermann.de/en/pro...sscheiben.html

I got my set with no vat and little discount delivered via DHL from Germany for 325Euro !!!!!!! Thats something in the region of £270 !!!!!!

I bet anyone you wont find at least same quality set of 4 near that, so it is a great buy, nice upgrade for a fraction of S8 brakes.

Don't take me wrong, I'd love to have a set of S8 complete brakes, but its so hard to find them and I didn't want to wait and if I do get them then I wont regret throwing 270quid for these.

Brakes will keep their warranty as long you use either Audi, Zimmermann or ATE pads, no warranty for EBC redstuff etc pads.

I got a set of ATE for something like £130 on a special order through a mate who works in Euro Car Parts.

So for a £400 a full set of quality pads and discs which you know wont fail is a real bargain in my opinion.

Wont fail?? Yeah, Zimmermann's a ATE reputation speaks for it self and to test it I've done my part in increasing my confidence.

I've tested the for the first in Snetterton on a track day out where we rented the track in many of us just to simply race with no limits, serious racing I mean, de-weighting the car, running on low fuel (spare plastic fuel tanks for topping up between the races), late braking etc. I even had a Stihl petrol blower for cooling the brakes

No surprises on the track.

I also did some pretty hard breaking from 120mph to zero on cold brakes and after some running, no surprises there.

As they are drilled, they don't made that annoying noise during the breaking as grooved discs and that was the main reason why I decided to go for drilled ones because on the end of the day this is still A8 not Le Mans R8

I still have got contact with this supplier if you are interested coz from time to time my mates ask me to get them a set for TTs A6s A8s A4s
And no one complaints

Here are some pictures, please forgive me for not washing the alloys before taking the pictures

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 16th November 2013, 07:48 PM

Can you get me a quote for a set of 4 discs for my A8 W12 please as i need a full set pretty soon
Old 16th November 2013, 08:23 PM

Sure mate, I need you VIN

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 29th June 2015, 08:48 PM

Wow 1.20 into the video and see the crack in the top of the original disc😦
Old 30th June 2015, 08:24 AM

Used Zimmermann on our A6 (bought via Murrays Direct in the UK but their makes stocked vary) and had no complaints

Might need some d3 s8 fronts soon

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 30th June 2015, 08:44 AM

These have been fitted for some time now
Any comments on the continued use?

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 30th June 2015, 09:55 PM

No issues whatsoever, even on the track
No complaints from any other members and mates and there is a lot of them.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 1st July 2015, 05:40 PM

Thanks.
I'll have to start saving my pocket money.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)