A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 29th June 2015, 09:09 PM

Is there a separate switch to turn it on, or does it work with the rear screen demister?

Is there anything visual to say a car has it?

(something to look out for on prospective purchases)

2008 Audi S8
Old 29th June 2015, 09:56 PM

Its activated by the front screen demister switch, which they all have. But if the screen is heated and the temp is below about 3 degrees, then the only telltale is that the light in the demister switch, blinks.
Others here can probably tell you where to look by the battery to ID a heated screen. Failing that.... park it in a fridge and then try the screen demister
Old 29th June 2015, 09:57 PM

As noted above (IIRC) there's a whole load of extra stuff in the compartment above the battery.

See: http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....9&postcount=14

As IT says there:
Quote:
So, if you have a heated screen, your boot will look like above. If not, then I promise you, you dont
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 29th June 2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old 30th June 2015, 07:26 AM
Banned

Old 30th June 2015, 07:31 AM
Banned

Pop your bonnet . Take plastic off scuttle trad driverside, look under wiper motor for the connector pictured above..

I just had a new one .. 8 screens later ... due to the nightmare that lane assist can cause ...

They were also adiment that there was no heated screen... i said look i know its heated but its not like a ford..

They tried to palm me off with "its heated at the bottom only to stop the wipers stricking to it" ...
I basicly said **** off i know my own car.. having owned A8s for near 7 years i know how the heated screens work ...

Order it heated .. if its not the simply cut the tabs off and fit it
Old 30th June 2015, 09:07 AM

Just realised, my boot post was for a D2. Is D3 similar or not?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 30th June 2015, 02:12 PM

Autoglass came today and fitted the screen. The guy tells me it's definitely a heated screen. It's not an Audi OEM item, and I can't tell by looking at it if it's proper heated twin-pane glass, so not sure how to tell if they've done it right.
2007 Audi S8, with Rear Seat Entertainment, Quad Zone Climate, DAB/DVB and electric blinds. ** sold **
Old 2nd July 2015, 02:47 PM

The new screen was fitted to my car today. The Autoglass guy showed me the screen before fitting it in and even he wondered what the heating plugs and ribbons (2 at top centre & one on each bottom corner) were for. Before I tried to explain what has been discussed in this thread, he thought heated front screens only came like Ford screens do. Every day's a school day! One of the AG technicians who came out last time said the only 'heating' on these A8 screens was heating of the opaque bit at the bottom to stop the wipers freeing to the screen in winter. I assured him this wasn't the case.

Fourth time lucky! Audi OEM screen this time after they cross referenced it with Audi. Solar reflective and heated.

- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8

Last edited by Conquistador; 2nd July 2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 6th July 2015, 04:59 PM

I do love those solar reflective screens!

2008 Audi S8