Old 6th July 2015, 11:34 PM

Car History, Hmm

1) Audi 100 C1 f/l 1976
2) Citroen CX Athena 1980
3) Triumph Acclaim L 1983
4) Triumph Acclaim HLS 1982
5) Nissan Sunny ZX Twin Cam 1988
6) Honda Concerto 1.6 1990
7) Audi 100 Quattro 2.3 1990 (Still owned)
8) Audi 100 1.8 1983 (still owned, 120000 miles from new)
9) Audi A8 3.7 2000 (Obviously still owned!!)

Best regards,
Steve
1993 Audi 80 2.0E Black (W.I.P)
Old 7th July 2015, 12:14 AM

Well, at least you started and ended well Steve!
Old 7th July 2015, 11:25 AM

Just a LINKY to a thread started a few years ago with a few members previous.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 7th July 2015, 12:54 PM

1) Brand new VW Polo 1.0 E (it was a great first car, but I soon wanted more)
2) Skoda Octavia vRS (again, brand new. 1.8T, ended up chipping it. Enjoyable, if basic)
3) Nissan Micra 1.0 (decided to save myself some money, but it turned out to be a false economy, and made me miserable)
4) Ford Mondeo ST220 (one of the best cars I ever owned. Great to drive, looked fabulous, really good feeling of quality, then one day I hit a patch of diesel coming out of work, and it got written off)
5) Skoda Octavia vRS (second generation, with the 2.0T. Bought it with 130,000 miles on the clock. Nice car, but nowhere near as much fun as the Mk I I had).
6) Ford S-Max 2.5T (This was a brilliant, brilliant car. Enough poke to dust most warm hatches, and enough room to take a family of five camping for a week. I think this is probably the best MPV on the market)
7) Audi S8 (awwwww yeah!)
2007 Audi S8, with Rear Seat Entertainment, Quad Zone Climate, DAB/DVB and electric blinds. ** sold **
Old 7th July 2015, 04:16 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Just a LINKY to a thread started a few years ago with a few members previous.
Thanks Dezzy, I missed that thread

Actually, while this thread has become a similar chronology of car ownership, what I was originally asking was essentially "how did everyone become an '8 owner?". The subtle difference being the reasoning behind arriving at '8 ownership rather than the sequence of cars owned.

For example, like I said in my first post:
Quote:
When the time came to replace the XM, I was looking for something that could make up for a lack of Hydractive handling/ride with sheer grip and road-holding, which meant that it had to be an AWD vehicle. I also wanted something at least as big, luxurious and quick as the XM and preferably something with good build quality (therefore probably German or Japanese) and something that was also reasonably rare. An AWD '8 was really the only car that ticked all the boxes.
Still fascinating to hear of all the great (and some not so great) cars everyone's owned though!
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 7th July 2015 at 04:18 PM.
Old 7th July 2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
Thanks Dezzy, I missed that thread

Actually, while this thread has become a similar chronology of car ownership, what I was originally asking was essentially "how did everyone become an '8 owner?". The subtle difference being the reasoning behind arriving at '8 ownership rather than the sequence of cars owned.

For example, like I said in my first post:

Still fascinating to hear of all the great (and some not so great) cars everyone's owned though!

My 8 came about because it was cheep, i wanted to try one for ages, no one else wanted it so it became mine. No other reason really.

Plan was to just run it into the ground get 12 months out of it and throw it away. But it proved to be a stubborn ******* and would not die, no matter how hard i tried. Then some dodgy fella left a note on it while it was parked in Portsmouth dock yard with his phone number and telling me to have a look at this forum.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 7th July 2015, 06:21 PM

Ronin...
Old 7th July 2015, 07:21 PM

I had a mythical budget of under £10k back in 2010 to buy a car for when I stepped off the treadmill and became a full time stay at home Dad (initially planned for 2 years but became 2 3/4 years!) after commuting by train for many years and selling my previous car through lack of use.

Originally went looking at B6 S4s and the like, but the ones I liked were over-priced, or under-serviced. Got close to buying an E39 530i (even down to arranging flights to Scotland!) before finally spotting my S8 for sale through a dealer in Bournemouth shortly before Christmas 2010.

The wish list for desirable spec was decent engine, plenty of space for family protection, reasonable running costs.....

Man-maths and a conversation with the previous owner convinced me the £7k he'd paid for it, plus more than that again in re-commissioning costs after a period of virtually no use meant I could run it on a relative shoe-string apart from pouring petrol in as required! It almost proved to be the case - apart from a gearbox sensor fault nothing cropped up after buying it that wasn't expected.

Needing a pair of new rear tyres meant going back to work on a 4 day week to cover the cost

Can't bring myself to part with it now I can afford to run it - even though the miles I do are fairly limited

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 7th July 2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Well, at least you started and ended well Steve!
Perfection takes time, Stephen, so there's hope for both of us mate!!

Trophy still polished mate??

Best regards,
Steve
1993 Audi 80 2.0E Black (W.I.P)
Old 7th July 2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy885 View Post
Perfection takes time, Stephen, so there's hope for both of us mate!!

Trophy still polished mate??

Best regards,
Steve
Yep, all shiny on the mantelpiece (next to the one for 2014...). Though this year's is muucch better, of course..