A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 9th December 2015, 12:22 PM

Default 1 month into D3 S8 ownership

Well, one month into V10 ownership and I thought I’d write just a brief report on how I’m finding the S8.

I was quietly looking for a fully loaded facelift 4.2TDI for a while but then changed my search and went all out to find a nice S8 while trying to avoid the most common (but still nice) Daytona grey and found this one in Aqua Blue Pearlescent with beige leather and carbon trim - a colour combo which I haven't seen before. The two tone black/silver leather doesn't do much for me either. I was also looking for one with an above average spec list and I think my search paid off as I definitely found a high spec model, however, I tried to avoid one with ceramics - they seem more hassle than they're worth. The full Audi history and the fact this is a facelift car were also boxes ticked. My insurance on this is also HALF what my D2's was.

I love the sound from cold start in the mornings. Pressing the start button and hearing the orgasmic sound of the starter motor for a few seconds before the engine fires up and the exhaust (with flaps wired open) growls for a good 30 seconds before settling down. I sometimes find myself turning the key in the ignition to start the engine then quickly running round to the back of the car just to hear it start, lol.

Another thing which is hard to ignore is the V10’s insatiable thirst for premium unleaded – I now typically see 20mpg on my daily journey. 23/24mpg is easily achievable if I’m being careful but then I soon start to think, “what’s the point? I didn’t buy a V10 to see decent fuel economy”. I look at the fuel gauge after a couple of journeys and it’s already done a quarter tank! The throttle response from standstill took a little getting used to. It’s responsive and sensitive in the first bit of pedal travel, and the gears are set up nicely for quick acceleration. Take off feels a hell of a lot quicker in sport mode too and I love the little ‘fart’ sound from the exhaust when upshifting under hard revs.

I like the fact that it can be a big luxury car in Comfort mode, ideal for cruising but put the suspension in Dynamic and it's set up for throwing it around a little more! I find the ride in Dynamic is just too harsh and bumpy for normal road driving so I leave it in Automatic most of the time which is a nice middle point. I'm considering lowering it, just by 10mm. It's also a nice feeling knowing you can have enough power to overtake or pull away from most other cars on the road after dropping a couple of gears. I've spotted a few people taking a picture of the car, it definitely gets respect on the road. At least I like to think it's of the car rather than my choice number plate which a few people have pointed out.

AMI coupled with B&O sound system is the mutt’s nuts if you’re into music. It’s like a concert hall on wheels! Soooo much better than any Harmon Kardon system or Meridian and Dolby/DTS in Range Rovers.

Negative points? Well aside from the fuel consumption the only thing I can think of is the thick infrared reflective glass all round means that I very rarely get phone signal and my Android phone doesn’t seem to hook up to the Bluetooth either <<< now solved, I got a new phone and it works.

It needs a couple of minor things addressing such as the HVAC panel being a bit glitchy <<< solved (see thread here), a cracked rear lens <<< common issue so I've left it, and heated mirrors not working <<< this was solved with the new HVAC panel, plus a slight misalignment on the boot as on a lot of D3s but so far I am loving it!

- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8

Last edited by Conquistador; 26th May 2016 at 10:33 AM.