D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 11th March 2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg
What is SSP & WOT???

Statutory Sick Pay
WOT usually refers to Wide Open Throttle

Not sure about ssp though - I'm guessing service guidance related?
SSP- self study programme, there is link to one in the thread below. There is hundreds of them on volkspage.net

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4368

Quote:
Looks like a nice piece of sturdy engineering

Though if Audi had made such a sturdy part it would have cost them an extra 20p per car
The problem is that variable manifold flap shafts become stiff and seize because of corrosion. Replacing arms with stronger ones could result in something else braking like shaft. Best solution would be to free the shafts, lubricate with anti-corrosion grease and replace plastic arms.

Quote:
Am I right it's only the 40-valve engine in the D2 that use these?
(I'm PF 32-valve and "managing" with "only" 340hp
32V has only one as it has 2 stage manifold instead of 3 stage on 40V. Does not seem to give problem on 32V. My guess would be that on 32V engine more oil from engine breather system gets in intake and lubricates it sufficiently to prevent corrosion and sticking. At least manifold on my car was fairly oily inside when I had it off.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 12th March 2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
What is SSP & WOT???

Statutory Sick Pay
As quoted previously and by ainarssems, WOT is wide open throttle and the SSP is the self study program that Audi issues to all of its tech's as part of their training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
The problem is that variable manifold flap shafts become stiff and seize because of corrosion. Replacing arms with stronger ones could result in something else braking like shaft. Best solution would be to free the shafts, lubricate with anti-corrosion grease and replace plastic arms.
Whilst I agree with you, the plastic shafts and flaps are not the issue, it's the build up on them - especially the carbon build for FSI engines. Sometimes the bearing on the manifold are to blame also. They are easy to clean up, but pulling apart the assembly and reinstalling is not an easy task as there is a 'blind' fitting at the rear that can cause all sorts of issues if it's not placed correctly and I note that Audi Aust won't clean them either! From my point of view, the movement was not restricted, hence the linkage simply failed.
Old 22nd March 2012, 09:29 PM

I've had the same issue on my '01 S8. I did think of the metal Gruven items, but I would imagine the OEM parts are plastic for a reason. To protect the internals.

If the shafts are seized, the plastic arms would break. If these arms are metal, something else would break (internally, and more expensive). In my opinion, the aluminium arms would only serve to mask an inherent problem. Don't under estimate the force those vacuum units exert. If the shafts or flaps break internally, the engine would swallow the bits.

I had 20 made for me, from a less-brittle plastic, as durable as the originals. These too would break, if the shafts were seized in the bushes. These are available for any interested parties.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4210

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:25 PM

Good work
It might be worth offering these to the A8 Freunde guys in Germany too or to the forums in the states. Are you gonna get the longer version made for A8's too?

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Good work
It might be worth offering these to the A8 Freunde guys in Germany too or to the forums in the states. Are you gonna get the longer version made for A8's too?
I might look into getting the 40V A8 links replicated. I've only held off, as the S8 seems to be more in demand, I've never been asked for the 40V 2" links.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 31st March 2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
I've had the same issue on my '01 S8. I did think of the metal Gruven items, but I would imagine the OEM parts are plastic for a reason. To protect the internals.

If the shafts are seized, the plastic arms would break. If these arms are metal, something else would break (internally, and more expensive). In my opinion, the aluminium arms would only serve to mask an inherent problem. Don't under estimate the force those vacuum units exert. If the shafts or flaps break internally, the engine would swallow the bits.

I had 20 made for me, from a less-brittle plastic, as durable as the originals. These too would break, if the shafts were seized in the bushes. These are available for any interested parties.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4210
Nollywood - I agree with your thoughts which is why I researched what specifically is wrong my car. The shafts and valves were not stuck, seized or restricted. The links had just disintegrated. One slightly more than the other which lead to failure. That's the only reason I replaced them, otherwise I would have torn down the manifold and cleaned it out.

Cheers