A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 6th October 2012, 08:10 PM

Default Engine top end rattle after a HARD drive.

Pretty much as the title suggests really. Car now clicking when accelerating. increases with the RPM.

3.0 TDI with a gazillion miles on the clock.

Many thanks.

Becci

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.

Last edited by A8L Chick; 6th October 2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: iPhone bloody auto correct
Old 6th October 2012, 09:11 PM

Is the noise there all the time or only after a t̶h̶r̶a̶s̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ 'hard drive'?

Could it be a diesel knock due to a faulty injector, or is it more metallic?

If metallic it could be any number of things that would require investigation
Hydraulic tappets, cam-shaft, timing chains, manifold flaps all spring to mind

Best have it looked at soon as possible

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 6th October 2012, 09:51 PM

See if it does it when cold tomorrow and report back.
Can you record it with a camera?
Does it do it when stood still just revving it?
Old 7th October 2012, 12:25 AM

Ok, on initial investigation it's not doing it from cold now. It sounded "tappety" to my relatively untrained ears.

Going to see what she's like after being Wayne up an taken for a normal more sedate drive ;-)

Thanks so far guys, I nearly cried earlier. :'-(

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 7th October 2012, 01:00 AM

Ok, I may have jumped the gun, upon driving her, the engine braking caused the "tapping" to start up again, and the car feels like she's tryin to "drive" when I'm stationary. She actually stalled in P.

Would I be right in thinking she's over fuelling for to a faulty injector on the drivers side??

It also. Sounds like a belt is slipping when the car is unhappy about stopping too???

Old 7th October 2012, 06:57 PM

These are weird symptoms. I have never read of anything exactly like this.
These injectors are electro piezo and usually very quiet, in fact because of their design, I don't see how they could be noisy compared to the older type.

Any smoke or bad smell from the exhaust?
If you could test with VCDS Engine measuring blocks 14-17 on the engine it will show smooth running mg/S for each cylinder and if any is over +/-2.99 (typical good condition is +/-0.5) then injector is not operating correctly. I wouldn't use it until you can have it looked at for fear of causing damage.
Good luck
Old 8th October 2012, 06:41 AM

She's getting plugged in today. Snap on computer is the best I can find

Car really doesn't sound happy.

Not checked for smoke, there was a funny smell after the drive home but didn't recognise it to describe it. sorry

I'll try to update again later.

Old 8th October 2012, 02:08 PM

Turned out to be pretty fatal and not top end as originally thought. Fine gold filings in my oil are pointing to be bearings.

Pulling the engine apart later....

Old 8th October 2012, 03:32 PM

Oh Lord
Make sure you wear gloves!