A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 5th March 2015, 09:32 AM

Default How long for coolant to settle day after ...

Morning all

Just wanted to check with you fellow A8 owners if anyone would know what to make of the following .

I had my rad replaced with a nice shiny new one as the old one has a small spilt in the corner that was giving coolant loss. Anyway had the new one fitted and checked it over , it was filled to about 1/2 " over the max mark....I was not to worried as I know that the extra would vent out over time. this was about 2 weeks ago and I have found that slowly the level had dropped to about MAX mark when cool over this time. Its done about 200 miles since being done and about 50% of that have been short runs 20 miles per day to work. Sometime without the heating on and just using the seat heating. When I have had the heating on for longer trips its set to 23.5c.
Would this make a difference in how long it would take to settle down to its happy level.....what do you all think...also what level do most of you find that your coolant sits at cold.....

....Hopefully just put my mind at easy ....as its been a few things related to coolant.

1 the rad replacement ( this was with a used one that developed a small leak
2 2nd rad replacement ( nice new one for A8 parts ) which is the one on now
2 having to replace the CTS just after the rad replacement.

at least the coolant system has had a very good flush over the past 6 months.

Thanks for the help all
Old 5th March 2015, 09:34 AM

Sorry Title should read Settle down ...not day
Old 5th March 2015, 10:54 AM

Wink

So in short, what is the problem exactly ?
Old 5th March 2015, 11:16 AM

I would call that good, if your heater is working correctly and the engine reaches and maintains operating temp, along with a stable fluid level then it's job done.

Just keep an eye on it now like you would normally do.

Mine stays where it's always been just a smudge below the max line

Old 5th March 2015, 11:24 AM

Yes, I vaguely remember on my old PF S8 having some work done (years ago) that required draining the coolant.

All seemed well until a few days later I was driving "vigorously" off the M25 northbound onto the M40 eastbound, which many (most) will know is a "grip-testing" 2-lane slip road that turns about 270 degrees left in one smooth curve.
Big red coolant level warning light on the DIS!

The light went out immediately the lateral G reduced and I topped up PDQ. All was fine after that though it did need a couple more small top-ups.
It looks like the system is difficult to fill and needs a bit of encouragement..... .
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 5th March 2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasiliangringo View Post
So in short, what is the problem exactly ?

Sorry there was a lot in that post... it was that the level dropped slightly after the rad change , it was overfilled by my Indy that did the job, so just wanted to check if that would be normal. Its come down to the Max mark now give or take …and keeping an eye on it to make sure all is ok, was just checking where most find their coolant level sits at which checked cold.And if the drop would seem normal
Old 5th March 2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
I would call that good, if your heater is working correctly and the engine reaches and maintains operating temp, along with a stable fluid level then it's job done.

Just keep an eye on it now like you would normally do.

Mine stays where it's always been just a smudge below the max line
Cool I will do and yep I will keep an eye on things
Old 5th March 2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Yes, I vaguely remember on my old PF S8 having some work done (years ago) that required draining the coolant.

All seemed well until a few days later I was driving "vigorously" off the M25 northbound onto the M40 eastbound, which many (most) will know is a "grip-testing" 2-lane slip road that turns about 270 degrees left in one smooth curve.
Big red coolant level warning light on the DIS!

The light went out immediately the lateral G reduced and I topped up PDQ. All was fine after that though it did need a couple more small top-ups.
It looks like the system is difficult to fill and needs a bit of encouragement..... .
Thanks HP

Yep its been a few weeks and check it every few days ..and must say that I have not taken it on many long drives with the heathing on...as I don't work that far from home...

I just hope that this is the end of coolant type problems with the car now
Old 5th March 2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post

I know this corner well, the A8 I think will do it at about 70-80mph lol! Funny when you join the m40 and everyone is looking at you as you fly past on the slip road.

To the original poster the coolant drop is fine and that's more than likely why he overfilled it to account for air left in the system, bit like an oil change, I'll overfill slightly to allow for the oil filter, best thing to do regarding air in the system is roll the windows down put the heating on full heat and take it for a spin getting it upto temp and using all the Rev range as this will open the heater circuit and using the Rev range will be running the pump at full tilt helping push out any air that may be hiding, top up to max if it does drop and then just check it as usual.

My misses zafira had an air pocket for 6 months ish after I did a belt and pump change, she hardly uses the heater though and I didn't get chance to take it out properly, went to check her oil one day and noticed a drop in coolant, filled it up and been fine ever since, reaches temp better too now, I was blaming a facet stat from ECP to begin with.
Old 5th March 2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles View Post
I know this corner well, the A8 I think will do it at about 70-80mph lol! Funny when you join the m40 and everyone is looking at you as you fly past on the slip road.
Well in an S8 you get the final section as it straightens out to reach "motorway speeds".
Even my Focus will go round the tight section in the dry at about 70mph and people on the inside lane look really surprised when you pass them then move to the inside lane on that curve!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!