A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 5th February 2009, 12:04 PM

Default How to: stop fog-light grilles from easily coming out

Hi,

Last year i bought a new set of fog-light grilles...that's right, the £120 ones that the early facelift A8 came with which has 2 parts on each side - one surround for the fog light and one for the grille. I then had some thieving little sh#@*s steal them within record time :ffs:. I then bought another set and they fell out so all in all a bit of a drama....

...until now (hopefully).

I basically tried to come up with a way to secure them better so that they wouldn't just fall out and not just anyone can come along (without tools at least) and rip them out. So here is it...

1. Drill a small hole in the grille next to the hole that keeps the grille in place.

2. Put a cable tie through the hole (i'll be replacing mine using a black one when i get a chance on the weekend) and make sure the 'block' bit of the cable tie remains behind the grille so that it will be out of sight. Then feed it through the round hole that you see just above where the grill is and loop it around so you can put it back in to the cable tie 'block' like below...

3. Then push the grille in place remembering that it also has to slot in sideways into the foglight surround. Now pull the cable tie so it tightens up.

4. Clip off the cable-tie excess...

5. And stand back and smile knowing those bad-boys are not going anywhere without a serious fight .

Hope it helps someone else!

-Oli

PS - this procedure also work on the later facelift as well as the early facelift version.

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 15th March 2009, 06:35 PM

Had both mine fall out! Will be onto Audi first thing tomorrow. Are these £120 each Oli?
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 15th March 2009, 06:59 PM

There are 2 different types for the Facelift versions...mine is the early facelift version with 2 bits to it..the foglight surround and then the grille. The later Facelift models was just 1 single grille.

My ones were almost 120 quid for both sides (4 parts) - doh.

-Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 31st March 2022, 12:08 PM

Default Any other ideas

Hi Guys,

Are the suggestions in this thread the 'goto' solution for retaining the Fog grills or are there some alternate ideas - OEM+ ish?
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 31st March 2022, 12:44 PM

I drill a small hole in the corner here and secure it with one of the tiny black screws used to hold the arch liners in (N 90250001). Its invisible from 6 feet, and can be removed with the screwdriver in the tool kit in emergencies, unlike a cable tie.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foggrillhole.jpg
Views:	1121
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	28102  
Old 31st March 2022, 12:52 PM

I've got the later one-part version and have done exactly the same as MJ after initially playing with black cable ties.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 31st March 2022, 02:22 PM

Thanks MJ / HP
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 1st April 2022, 02:51 PM

Mark screwed in the grilles on mine too, before I took custodianship
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 9th April 2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
custodianship
Love this

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 9th April 2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
Love this

+1

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)

Tags
fog light, grille