A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 1st July 2022, 10:54 AM

Old thread resurrection!

My drivers door lower trim is damaged; while doing some pre-MJ checks I caught my leg on it a few weeks ago! She didn't have time, given the huge load of other jobs, to look at it while it was there.

I found the plastic strip on the inside but it didn't want to slide.
It was quite loose at one end anyway and eventually just unclipped straight off; hopefully not too damaged to clip back on, otherwise it may need some adhesive or double-sided tape at the end of the job.

This is the door trim, not bad but I know it's wrong:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DriversDoor.jpg
Views:	762
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	28723  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 1st July 2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I found the plastic strip on the inside but it didn't want to slide.
It was quite loose at one end anyway and eventually just unclipped straight off; hopefully not too damaged to clip back on, otherwise it may need some adhesive or double-sided tape at the end of the job.
And looking at the strip it appears that "someone" in the past has just pressed it onto the mounting studs rather than sliding it, probably why it wasn't very secure, wouldn't slide and popped off easily.
Fortunately there's not much damage and I can probably ease the plastic channel back into it's proper shape and slide it back on securely in due course.

Part of it had quite a bit of dirt behind, where it hadn't been fixed fully flush against the door surface.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 1st July 2022 at 11:06 AM.
Old 1st July 2022, 11:49 AM

The evidence, there's a handful of places with similar witness marks.

(The others also have smaller marks the other side of the channel as those clips did engage - this didn't hence the muck!)

Hopefully, if it doesn't go back on securely, A8Parts can supply one.

PS The photo is indeed upside down from how it is mounted on the door, but the lighting makes it look weird the other way up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CoverStrip.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	28726  

Last edited by HPsauce; 1st July 2022 at 01:40 PM.
Old 4th July 2022, 10:23 AM

Today I removed the two screws that stop the strip moving, slid it backwards and removed it.
Oddly it looked fine, apart from some tears in the rubber seals, it was straight and true.

Then I realised that there are seven fixing clips on the strip and that one was still on the door, the rearmost one!
They just clip into a channel and this had popped out but wouldn't push back on, so the end was sitting proud.
I just slid it off the door and clipped it back in place after carefully reshaping the metal it had been pulled away from.

For now it's just going back on; I'll see if our sponsors have an undamaged one that I can fit in its place in due course. If not I'll have a go at repairing the tears in the rubber.
(I have some compound that I've used fairly effectively on damage to the boot seal on the lower lip.)

Last edited by HPsauce; 4th July 2022 at 10:25 AM.
Old 4th July 2022, 10:47 AM

Looks good now and was a lot easier to fix than expected.
The cover strip on the inside also slid on correctly with a little "persuasion".

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DoorTrimFixed.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	28739  
Old 4th July 2022, 11:02 AM

Glad that was easily sorted
Old 4th July 2022, 11:20 AM

Me too, no glue required, just refit a clip!

Though I do wonder who'd been in there before and why, removing the cover strip incorrectly?