A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 3rd August 2022, 09:48 AM

Default F125 Misbehaving

I discovered a new (to me) mode of failure of the F125 which, fortunately, MJ was aware of. Whilst driving to Liverpool I stopped in a queue on the outer lane of a dual carriageway at some road works near Dumbarton. As i was there for some time, i switched off the ignition. Came to start and.... nothing. Some frantic action with the key and gearlever whilst traffic built up behind me and then it started. Anyway, put it down to being in neutral/park or something and went on. We pulled in at Tebay for a break, ironically opposite the Tesla charging points in a quiet corner, but when it came to start nothing happened. All normal lights came on and relays clicking in the passenger footwell but no starter motor action. After 10mins called our breakdown cover (Nat West Flex plus who use the AA). Told it was about 2 hrs. When they arrived battery check showed all was OK. I wondered about the chassis earthing point so they jacked it up to check. I then took the liberty of phoning MJ (for which I apologise profusely again) and MJ said that she had had a similar issue and its either the relay in the footwell, dirty contacts at the connector next to the earthing point or the F125. After some discussion the AA guy changed the relay which made no difference, checked the connector (all good) but then managed to jump start shorting between the earthing point and the connector. So it pointed toward the F125. But then faced with that being the only way to start the car, I returned home.
Subsequent investigation a few days later and further discussion with MJ who talked me through the work-round which by-passes the relay which transmits the "I'm in "Park" " signal from the F125 which allows the starter to work. Basically, a short jumper between the terminals of the relay does the trick. The jumper is still in place whilst I figure out the way ahead with the F125,which given the cost of a fitting a new F125, might even be a permanent fixture!!
Anyway, many, many thanks to MJ without whom we would be all be a much worse place. (how do you know all this stuff, MJ?? )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jump lead between earth point and connector.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	28800   Click image for larger version

Name:	jumper in place of relay1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	28801   Click image for larger version

Name:	jumper in place of relay.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	28802   Click image for larger version

Name:	jumper for relay.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	251.3 KB
ID:	28803  
Old 3rd August 2022, 10:25 AM

Exactly what happened to me a while back. I'll find the thread shortly....

December 2019! http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
to bypass this relay I need to put my wire in the steel contacts (30 and 87 = 2 and 8), connecting the two thick red/black wires.
Didn't take a picture after doing it , but David did.

My "temporary fix" lasted right through Covid until MJ replaced my F125 this summer.

2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 3rd August 2022 at 10:37 AM.
Old 3rd August 2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
The jumper is still in place whilst I figure out the way ahead with the F125,which given the cost of a fitting a new F125, might even be a permanent fixture!!)
I thought about that but decided the failure MUST have been something broken inside the F125, so inevitably the risk of debris.
Given the construction of the F125 my view was that there's a significant risk of it affecting other circuits, so replace it sooner rather than later.

Later for me was well over 2 years, but for much of that it was on SORN due to Covid.

You need to get a slot in MJs diary, she's a dab hand at swapping F125s I believe.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 5th August 2022, 10:30 AM

There is a good write up in AudiPages describing the process:

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...chreplace.html
Audi S8 2002 FE Avus Silver / Extended Red Leather.
Daily Driver: BMW 3 series GT - Just more practical for my camping trips!
Old 5th August 2022, 10:36 AM

Indeed. I printed all that and handed it to the garage that replaced mine a few years back. They did it all well inside a day without any drama.
Though the boss there used to work at Fontain (well-known Audi independent down South) and knew what was involved.

It was a brand new genuine one that was fitted, but it still failed after maybe 40,000 miles.
Old 5th August 2022, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummagnet View Post

That's the instructions I used when doing mine a few months back. My biggest problem was starting it at around 3:00pm and then getting eaten alive by midges around 7:00pm, so stopped for the night.

And yes, that 'one' bolt they mention is a PITA.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 6th August 2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummagnet View Post

Yes,i have that in my maintenance file but it is PITA doing it on your back under ramps. Like HP, i might just save it up for another day when i have to get it up on a lift.