A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 16th August 2022, 12:45 PM

Default It's enough to make a D2 owner weep.....

Many of us are fully aware of the challenges around removing and reinstalling door cards on a D2.

For those of a strong constitution and with lots of moral fibre, here's a short video of how Volvo do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIiazVM1nyc
Note especially how the door pull is dealt with.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 16th August 2022, 01:00 PM

Visible screws! The horror!!

The B5 A4 and C5 A6 both come off like that too, the B5 being released just a couple of months after the D2. It takes less time to get the door card off an A6 than it does to gather the tools to prepare to take off a D2
Old 16th August 2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Visible screws! The horror!!
First thing I spotted too.
But it is basically a Ford Focus in a posh frock!
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 16th August 2022, 01:58 PM

But that's no challenge at all! How else would we pass the days?
Old 16th August 2022, 09:14 PM

I'm scared now lol, as I'm gonna attempt to change my door card on my d2 in a couple of week.
2008 Focus ST-2 - Panther Black - Stolen
2006 Audi TT 3.2 - Petrolblau Pearl Sold
Plus Way to Many others
Old 16th August 2022, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethS8 View Post
I'm scared now lol, as I'm gonna attempt to change my door card on my d2 in a couple of week.
Just work up to it gently; First I'd start with changing the F125 as a "beginners challenge".
Old 16th August 2022, 09:46 PM
Banned

Removing and replacing door cards is easy.
D2 has a more complicated system than a ****ty mass produced ford that presses the door card against the door frame harder to aid with sound proofing(and also why there is a foam seal going all around it except for the top)
Old 16th August 2022, 09:56 PM

Indeed, I'm always surprised when I travel in my S8 with passengers and realise we're chatting to each other normally with minimal background noise in almost all road conditions and speeds.

In any other car you'd give up talking and just and turn the radio on loud. In my S8 the radio/music usually off unless there's something I particularly want to listen to. Apart from the V8....
Old 16th August 2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethS8 View Post
If it's one of the rear ones, check out the following thread:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?p=85205

Removal of the front door cards will be quite similar.

NB: Be very careful when disconnecting the bowden cable from the door handle. Check out the 14th photo in the above thread, which shows a closeup of the end of the bowden cable, and is highlighted with an red ellipse. At the bottom of the ellipse you'll see a small greyish metal clip, and at the top of the ellipse you'll just about notice a small black piece of plastic at the end of the cable. Both of these parts are essential and are very easy to drop or misplace.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 17th August 2022, 10:02 AM

Sean,
You are a stickler for the finer points.
Well done and thank from everyone for your diligence.
All part of you extensive repair manual production experience of course.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)