A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Trims

D3 - Interior Trims Seats, dashboards, plastics, everything inside the cabin

Old 31st January 2021, 07:37 PM

Default Audi A8 D3 rear tail light bolt caps/covers

Hi guys does anyone know either the part number or where I can get the rear tail light bolt caps/cover?

I have a bit of a condensation freezing issue inside the car and think it might be coming through these as there all off in my car. Checked the carpets already near the hvac drain and the pipes are dry jist in case it was that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a94ddd5647bab2d496c6abb28207.jpeg
Views:	419
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	25383  

Last edited by jonnypym123; 31st January 2021 at 07:44 PM.
Old 31st January 2021, 07:57 PM

Are these part of the rear light assembly? Can't see it in pics

They look like the screw covers for the boot lid tool box
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 31st January 2021, 09:06 PM

If those are indeed the light mounting bolt hole covers in your picture, then the chances are that your rear lights have been off. And the seating/seal of the light units are a more likely cause of any water ingress in the boot than the bolt hole covers.
Old 31st January 2021, 09:18 PM

Thants gents the picture is stock from when I googled them, the circular covers I'm looking for are the ones in this photo to the right near the boot seal, I'll be checking the seals tomorrow. Nie on impossible to find the caps/covers on the internet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-01-31-21-28-40.png
Views:	403
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	25403  

Last edited by jonnypym123; 31st January 2021 at 09:22 PM.
Old 1st February 2021, 01:24 AM

They are just a screw covers, nothing to do with water ingress.

Also there are no seals for wing lights other than grommet on the cable and paper on the nuts. More likely to be something on the boot lid letting water in

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 1st February 2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnypym123 View Post
Thants gents the picture is stock from when I googled them, the circular covers I'm looking for are the ones in this photo to the right near the boot seal, I'll be checking the seals tomorrow. Nie on impossible to find the caps/covers on the internet
It won't help with the water ingress issue, but the part number for the covers is 4E0863283. However, the price is £7 and that might be 'each'.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 5th February 2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
It won't help with the water ingress issue, but the part number for the covers is 4E0863283. However, the price is £7 and that might be 'each'.
That's a steal at £7 a piece haha, some crazy prices but I might just have to get them cheers for the part number. I did some digging in the boot to try and find the problem, the outer tail light seal wasn't set right (I resealed the light few months back). Another thing it could be I had the windscreen replaced last May by autoglass due to a crack and since then I had condesation in the car and really noticed it more last few weeks freezing over inside. I had autoglass refit it in January and the fitter noticed it hadn't bonded at the top but still have the issue, getting them out again to check, no wet carpets so I'm guessing it's still the windscreen.

Last edited by jonnypym123; 5th February 2021 at 09:56 PM.
Old 19th March 2021, 03:03 PM

This is now fixed turns out when there was the badly sealed screen a small amount of moisture still in the cabin inside the car, autoglass did the dye test after the reseal and all is good, I just dried out the interior as best I could and since then I've had no issues, no more steam room!
Old 30th March 2021, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnypym123 View Post
Hi guys does anyone know either the part number or where I can get the rear tail light bolt caps/cover?

I have a bit of a condensation freezing issue inside the car and think it might be coming through these as there all off in my car. Checked the carpets already near the hvac drain and the pipes are dry jist in case it was that.
Have you checked the drain channels down the sides of the boot opening? The ones that accumulate leaf debris and sycamore seeds for fun? They have a join in them (what a daft design) and mine looked like it would let water into the join. I sealed it with Gorilla glue just to be sure.
Old 12th April 2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J i m s t e r View Post
Have you checked the drain channels down the sides of the boot opening? The ones that accumulate leaf debris and sycamore seeds for fun? They have a join in them (what a daft design) and mine looked like it would let water into the join. I sealed it with Gorilla glue just to be sure.
Hi Jimster that's another job I need to do clean the muck out of the channels kind of been putting it off haha. But your right worth tending to before it comes a problem. Since the leak from windscreen I lifted the carpet and it was full of mositure straight to the tip it went and a new one in. Worth checking seals every year isn't it