A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 15th July 2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Normally yes, the MoT is the last step before they return home, but with this one being a slightly longer term project the work so far has been simply to get it roadworthy and driveable. With the exception of the interior, mechanically it is now in the state I normally receive them, ie working and driving but in need of some attention.

Parts prices are based on Prestige's pricing for used items, although most are coming from my own stock. New stuff is mostly coming from Autodoc.

I bought it from Bert because a long term rolling resto was the only viable way to save it, since its the last known example of Avus and extended red. It'll be going to a new home when its finished
Lucky new owner . I really think you need to get some "D2 Doctored" plaques to add to those cars that have been through your hands (literally!) - I'm sure it'd add to their future value.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 17th July 2021, 10:56 PM

I'm pretty sure this thing is trolling me now

Remember how I said there were no error codes or warning lights?

The bank 1 primary O2 sensor failed on the way to the MoT

So, today was swapping both sensors. You can see the bank 1 sensor here:

In fact no, you can't because the damn SAI valves in the way. Well, they aren't working anyway because the vacuum hoses are all perished, and you can be very sure that if I have to take them off for any reason they aren't going back on!

With the valve removed, you can now see the sensor

Bank 2 sensor - this was still working, but at 170k its pointless changing just one of them, and that may result in the two banks running unbalanced anyway which we don't want.

The amount of stuff which needs to be removed to get to the sensors:

Still, thats better than the D3 where you have to remove the inlet manifold

Bank 1 sensor removed

New one fitted, then the same on the other side

Capped off the SAI solenoid valve. The vacuum supply hose will be removed later.

One of the manifold link arms was broken so I replaced that while I was in there

And since I had to take the upper brace out to get the wiring harness out of the way (for the bank 2 sensor) I put a brake block on it when it went back in

It does run more smoothly with the O2 sensors replaced so they were clearly past their best even before the bank 1 sensor died.

This job took 5 hours, 3 of which was exorcising the SAI valves. That puts the total at 147 hours. Sensors are about £60 each.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	170.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	26722   Click image for larger version

Name:	171.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	26723   Click image for larger version

Name:	172.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	26724   Click image for larger version

Name:	173.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	26725   Click image for larger version

Name:	174.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	26726   Click image for larger version

Name:	175.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	26727   Click image for larger version

Name:	176.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	26728   Click image for larger version

Name:	177.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	26729   Click image for larger version

Name:	178.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	26730   Click image for larger version

Name:	179.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	26731  

Old 18th July 2021, 10:31 AM
Banned

the parking brake adjustment is also a lenghty job isnt it? mine isn't holding well and I'll need to get it into a garage its one of those jobs that requries a lift
Old 18th July 2021, 10:47 AM

Its a complete arse since at the very least the exhaust needs to come off. I'm about to try it and see if it can be done without dropping the propshaft...

My MoT guy always complains about D2 handbrakes, but this one won't hold the car on anything more than a gentle slope so this time its fair enough.
Old 18th July 2021, 11:13 AM

My old D2 and also C4 A6 had weak handbrakes but it was mostly caused by the shaft that goes in calliper getting rusty and not rotating freely so that spring was not returning it fully and as the result self adjusting mechanism in the calliper was not working properly. A bit of penetrating oil, good exercise and it was good for MOT.

As for the O2 sensors I saw a nice video on youtube showing how to test them with blowtorch. If you hook up voltmeter to signal wires and heat up sensor with blowtorch then as you move flame around the voltage reading goes up and down. On a good sensor it changes very quickly and goes up to about 0.9V but on faulty it's slow to respond and max voltage is lower. While I was playing around after a while I noticed that even the faulty sensor started responding better so I heated it well up and for long time and it started working as it should again. It seams it was contaminated but after heating it up contaminants must have burned up and it was working fine. I never put it back in car so don't know if it would have worked well in car or for how long but interesting finding anyway.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 18th July 2021, 01:12 PM

Mm interesting find yes ^ Given how much better it runs now, I think both sensors were past their best, but the bank 1 sensor was showing open circuit by the time it came back from the MoT so I guess it failed due to getting properly hot, which it hasn't done so far.

The handbrake took about 2 hours and I was able to do it without removing the prop Pics later.
Old 18th July 2021, 10:55 PM

The handbrake adjustment is buried in here:

Drop the exhaust and support it with the transmission jack

The heat shield studs are mostly broken

Or held in with self-tappers

Tunnel brace off

This heat shield drops down and then the rear one can come out. The plate at the left if this pic also comes out

Then you can see the handbrake adjustment above the propshaft

I was able to get to it over the prop with a long extension. I tightened it until the rear brakes started binding, then backed it off a turn. In total it needed about 4 turns.

With the adjustment done I supported the exhaust so I could lower the lift and check the handbrake applied and released ok from the cabin. It did so I put it back together

I don't have a rivnut tool so I temporarily replaced the heat shields using more self tappers. These will do until the engine comes out, whereupon I will replace them with enclosed rivnuts.

My printed headlight level sensor bracket has been catching on the anti roll bar so I will need to redesign this slightly to make some clearance.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	180.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	26732   Click image for larger version

Name:	181.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	26733   Click image for larger version

Name:	182.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	26734   Click image for larger version

Name:	183.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	26735   Click image for larger version

Name:	184.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	26736   Click image for larger version

Name:	185.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	26737   Click image for larger version

Name:	186.jpg
Views:	598
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	26738   Click image for larger version

Name:	187.jpg
Views:	607
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	26739   Click image for larger version

Name:	188.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	26740   Click image for larger version

Name:	189.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	26741  

Name:	190.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	26742   Click image for larger version

Name:	191.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	26743  
Old 19th July 2021, 08:10 AM

Another fine job MJ
How on earth did someone let the position of the handbrake adjuster pass what passes for a design review!!!
Old 19th July 2021, 08:54 AM

It was a worthy runner up for 'design sadist of the year', along with the bloke who came up with dropping the subframe to get the control arms out, but both were soundly beaten by the door card team
Old 19th July 2021, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
With the valve removed, you can now see the sensor
Wish I had those photos of the sensors many years back to show the 'mechanic' when I asked him to replace all four of mine. Told me he couldn't find the pre-cat ones, which may have been a "couldn't be ar**d" attitude. I ended up doing them myself, removing the driver side one from underneath with the front on ramps.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds