A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 20th May 2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Train View Post
HP's must be really really late 98 (mine's August)
October 98, one of the very last PF's I believe.
But I have seen the levelling sensors myself and had a garage techie tell me what they are.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 20th May 2012, 10:03 PM

The changing requirements for MOT result from changes to minimum standards for EU Directives regarding roadworthiness inspection

The requirement for factory fit systems is that if fitted with self levelling and washers at manufacture they should function and not produce a fault code.

Where it's less clear is whether just having HID bulbs fitted in filament compatible headlights will mean an automatic fail without levelling/wash or not, if the beam pattern isn't too horrific (most are)

The AA cover it in simple form:
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...nges-2012.html

C&U regs haven't been updated in over 20 years, bar a few minor amendments, and for construction purposes are now entirely redundant as any ECWVTA approved vehicle must be accepted for use in the UK under the Vienna Convention in any case. For use, they're the lowest standard a vehicle that can be used on UK roads must meet. Obviously there is then an enforcement issue and for the most part we've not had substantial change to the annual test since the introduction of emissions testing until this year. Generally you were OK to do what you like unless the catch-all section of C&U about causing danger to other road users could be applied - it was a pretty wide definition!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 21st May 2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Is that for all vehicles or just after a certain date? My Land8 will struggle with some of those and to be fair would have from new, like:

Visible wiring that is insecure, inadequately supported or likely to cause a short will also result in a failure as will wires bared by damaged insulation.

Seats
It must be possible to secure the driver's seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism in two or three different positions. On electric seats the motors must move the seat fore and aft.

Doors must be easy to open and close – hinges, catches and pillars will be inspected.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 21st May 2012, 04:00 PM

I think there's an element of common sense supposed to be applied for vehicles built in a different era - this is about stuff that shouldn't go unfixed rather than things that left the factory in a 1970s British leyland style of build quality lol

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 26th May 2012, 11:09 AM

My pre-facelift S8 (March '98) had HID (dipped only) and self-levelling. My father-in-law's '97 BMW 530i (E39) has HID (dipped only) and definitely has self-levelling too.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 28th May 2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
I think there's an element of common sense supposed to be applied for vehicles built in a different era - this is about stuff that shouldn't go unfixed rather than things that left the factory in a 1970s British leyland style of build quality lol
1965 Adrian and i'm sure BL never had the "that'll do" attitude

You're right about the common sense thing too or discretion of the tester the but that works both ways especially if the tester is an idiot. I have had the Landy fail on middle seat belt missing and passenger door not opening
The fix was to pick up the middle seat cushion to find belt that was there all the time and to unlock the passenger door because a 45 year old Land Rover doesn't have central locking
Then wanted me to pay for a retest. I told him that wouldn't be happening but all this done was seemingly put an extra couple of inches on the end of his penis as he said (after breathing in and pushing his chest out) "Well you won't be leaving here with an MOT then mate"
Needless to say i don't use them anymore, and have found someone that does have common sense.

So when you're dealing with a retarded monkey these common sense things go right out the window.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 28th May 2012, 08:11 PM

Know where you're coming from - I had a Mk2 Cortina fail an MOT for having 'a worn steering rack' - to which I asked him to point out where there might be a steering rack fitted.......for those that don't know, they had a steering box which had about 3" of play in it at the steering wheel when it left the factory!