A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 4th February 2018, 10:42 PM

Default Clarkson reviews the A8

In todays Sunday Times! Most of the article was a long rant about car leasing.

It was a 3.0 Diesel "50" that he tested. Overall quite liked it but found the ride in the rear (where he reckoned most buyers would travel) to be a bit bumpy, though said it was otherwise a very nice place to sit and beat all the competition.

Also thought the touchscreen concept was rubbish, with which I for one agree!

As for "Never trust a man who has cleaning equipment in his car. There is something wrong with him"... draw your own conclusions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JC-A8review.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	657.3 KB
ID:	17874  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 4th February 2018 at 10:51 PM.
Old 5th February 2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
no one who buys a vehicle of this type is that interested in cars
:rofl:
Old 5th February 2018, 08:43 AM

Remember he's talking about the D5, so in general probably not far out.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 5th February 2018, 08:57 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Remember he's talking about the D5, so in general probably not far out.
And it's the frugal-flavoured model too.

Good review. Thanks for posting

I think the D5 is growing on me but I'm still not sold on that massive front grille.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 5th February 2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 5th February 2018, 10:22 AM

Cheers for posting that

Must say overall I like the D5 so far it's really not massively different from the D4 looks wise which means they don't date over night too But I am biased! I like the big grill after all, all my bumper seems to do is pick up stone marks from the appalling state of the roads so less paint on the front to get hit is a good thing

I like the new dash layout and the options it brings, Tesla have been pushing forward with this for the last few years. The touch screen will always be a source of annoyance with finger marks one of the lads at work has just bought a new Tesla S which suffers the same, the price of progress I guess? The background colour seems to make things better or worse dark background shows up even worse in strong sunlight. It would be impossible to run the amount of options these screens can offer with the old style buttons or some menu driven MMI I guess and still keep it accessible.
These days we all run phones and tablets that have the same or similar screens so we should be used to it?
We will need it to drive itself so we can play with the controls

And yes I have a small microfiber pad to wipe the finger marks off the piano black bits on the centre console as they annoy me so Mr C wont like me, but then I won't be worrying about that I can't stand dirty car interiors
A8 3 litre sport till 2016
Short walk on the MB dark side
A8 3 litre sport from 2010 to 2012