A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Lights

D4 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 18th September 2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
I've also booked in for an estimate for proper repair. Will be interesting to see what the difference in price is.
Ok, Chips Away have come in at £360, but won't fix the headlamp

So the wing is made of bumper plastic; hence the lack of dents. Just cracks.

Just bought a headlight off e-bay for £70, I figure its worth a punt. Plan will be to have a look at it and if it looks like ok to give it to the chips away guy to fix the scratch and fit.

I'll do a before and after picture if anyone is interested.
Old 19th September 2013, 11:02 AM

I'm interested

Also that headlight is cheap

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 19th September 2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I'm interested

Too cheap I suspect, I will find out when it arrives.

Proper bodyshop guy seemed to think the bumped bit had been bumped before, hence; the cracking. Anyway he was talking new wing, headlight and respray. I haven't seen the estimate yet, guess they are booking it onto the super computer in Los Alamos to calculate the final amount.

Oh yes, and Proper Bodyshop guy noticed the dent on the corner of the bonnet a nice extra surprise to make my day. (groan)

Any reliable view on what the wing is made from? I'm wondering as the Chips Away guy seemed to think he could "weld the plastic" on the wing. If its Aluminium then I don't think that will be likely. Its been a long time since I last had to deal with this sort of issue, I'm remembering why I work hard not to have a collision or bump.
Old 21st September 2013, 01:09 AM

Default Good grief

Quote is in from Proper Accident Repair Centre guy... Good Lord.

1,850 .... WOW.....

Putting aside the parts at £800. Wants £250 just for paint. £750 in labour @ £30 an hour = 25 man hours. Seems madly over the top for a scratched wing, bumper and slight dent in the bonnet.
Old 21st September 2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Yes it does, but I'm so used to pushing the lever fully forward for park. I didn't look as I was just hopping out to quickly shut a gate. I think it is a poor design, but I did notice it before the incident and I should have taken more care.

There is an auto parking brake function, but when your rolling up to a barrier or in traffic on an incline it can grab the brakes, so I'm not keen on that one. I'm used to riding the brake when crawling in traffic so it requires a bit of thought to realise the parking brake has engaged.
Noticed tonight when I was parking up on the drive, my driveway is quite curved. So I stopped, put the car into park, went to confirm it on the indicator, but of course you can't see the indicator on the dash as the steering wheel spoke blanks it. I think that was the critical piece of the puzzle as to why it happened. As I must have glanced, but didn't see the selector indicator. And yes I engaged the electric parking brake and switched the car off before getting out.

I also noticed on the way home that I was in Sport mode on the gearbox. Again, its not a brilliant design at all.
Old 30th September 2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I'm interested

Ok, before and after's ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130926_074650[1].jpg
Views:	385
Size:	465.2 KB
ID:	6747   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130926_074717[1].jpg
Views:	387
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	6748   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130927_075812[1].jpg
Views:	391
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	6749   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130927_075745[1].jpg
Views:	384
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	6750  
Old 30th September 2013, 12:24 PM

Well done on getting it sorted out - don't forget to mention how much you've saved over the other quote to mission control!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 30th September 2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I'm interested

It's arrived. Pretty well scratched... Seen a guy who changed the front of the glass by putting the lamp in an oven for 5 minutes at 200c. It was for a 7 series E39, but the process looked right. To put it back in just do the same thing again. It must be right as I can't see how you could service anything in the lamp, unless you had freakishly small alien hands.

Plan right now is to see how I get on with the windscreen repair kit. if it looks good I'll run with that. if not, I'll have a go at polishing the spare headlight and removing it from the light body. If that works ok, I'll have a go at swapping the glass.
Old 30th September 2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Well done on getting it sorted out - don't forget to mention how much you've saved over the other quote to mission control!
I think I pushed the Chips Away guy to his limit, but it looks good and he did the job in a single day. I would definately use them again. Happy to name names and recommend if you want?
Old 30th September 2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I think I pushed the Chips Away guy to his limit, but it looks good and he did the job in a single day. I would definately use them again. Happy to name names and recommend if you want?
By all means mention your particular chips away agent. I think the problem with Franchises (such as they) are in getting the consistent service and results with another Chips Away agent in another area etc. I suppose having said that you could go to the same spray shop and get two totally different results depending on who sprayed your car and what checking/inspection procedures they have afterwards.

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs