A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 6th May 2014, 10:55 AM

Default Incandescent to LED

Thought it was time to replace the orange bulbs to something a bit more white and brighter.
Phoned my LED man up and got him to send him down a complete set of LEDs for the 8.

Next day 28 LEDs turned up at work.

That lot replaced every bulb in the interior, boot and number plate light.

Not wanting to fanny around in the car with the bulbs, I removed every light unit and took it into the house.

I could not get over how many plugs there was on the front lighting unit.

All lights ready for new LEDs.

First I removed the main lights from the front and rear lights, removed the tops and gave them a good clean.

With them all clean and put back together, I started on the rear reading lights. They needed a strip and a clean.

I replaced the footwell lights cause the single LED they had was pathetic really when you compared them to the new 4 LED units.

With all the LEDs in and lights refitted in the car I waited for night time and to make sure they worked correctly when fading and that the door lighting was still working.

Front door.

Rear lights. You can see the footwell having a little bit more illumination than before.

Front. Same with the footwells again.

Rear door.

Boot lid. Real shame they never fitted two like they did in the boot.

The boot. Not the best cause my boot storage is in the way and not sure where the blue is coming from, I think its the lenses but I will double check.

I never got round to doing the license plate lights cause I broke the screws holding the lenses in and then broke the lenses. I got new ones on order from Audi.

The lights still dim, no flicker, no errors on the dash and the ambient lighting bits still work.

My mate said he's happy to offer a discount to the forum if enough people are interested.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 21st May 2014, 09:30 PM

Goodwork Scott might have to get you to do mine at inters for me as you've now practiced on your own car!! was it easy enough? Did you break any clips/brackets In The process ?
Old 21st May 2014, 09:36 PM

I broke nothing bar one light unit cause it got stuck in the seat.

Get the kit and I'll do it mate no problems.

Looking at a LED DRL solution with him now.
Watch this space.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 21st May 2014, 10:03 PM

Exciting times lookin forward to your findings!!!
Old 21st May 2014, 11:33 PM

Good job!

I remember doing the same on my previous, a 330d M Sport, and the results were amazing. The headliner light units were a pain to take out, though fitment of the SMD's was a doddle.

What was your total cost if you don't mind? and was there any coding required or just plug and play?
Old 22nd May 2014, 07:45 AM

There was no coding needed and no fault codes. People did question fault codes in another forum but there was nothing when I checked.

Total cost was about £100 with postage I think.
Its just plug and play, remove your old and fit the new ones.
Old 24th May 2014, 09:28 AM

I'm interested in this if your led man wants to offer a group buy.....
Old 25th May 2014, 06:24 PM

OP you mention that there were 28 turned up (as pictured), was that the total number needed? ie - is that all the lights changed or are there any others too?

£100 works out at just over £3 a pop, not sure if that's cheap or expensive? or is it about right for these type of LEDs/SMBs?
Old 27th May 2014, 12:01 PM

He's happy to offer a group buy.
Just need numbers.
I'll talk to him about final numbers and price if everyone is happy.

Onetwenite, That was it. That's every lights in the cabin and the number plate lights.

It think its about average but I'm not 100% sure cause I don't ever go anywhere else.
Old 29th May 2014, 09:46 AM

I spoke to my LED man last night.

He said he'll do the set you see here for £80 including UK postage.

They're normally £100 + postage.

This is based on 5 people.

I'm not sure on the rules on group buys, so let me know if I'm doing it wrong or such.
I'd like to start this up as a proper thread but not sure where to put it.
Thanks.