A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 2nd December 2012, 04:27 PM
Director at A8 Parts

Default W12 Thermostat Swap

A month or so ago I decided to change the thermostat on my W12.
During the summer I thought it was quite slow to warm up compared to my previous W12, but I put that down to the SWB having an extra radiator and therefore larger capacity cooling system, more water etc. I thought at the time I was being optimistic (the extra radiator *shouldn’t* make any difference as it should technically be at the other side of the thermostat), but carried on crossing my fingers and hoping it wasn’t the thermostat because I had heard what a pain of a job it was.
As the temperature dropped it was obvious something wasn’t right, on my 12 mile journey home I was lucky to see the temperature needle move a quarter of its travel, and it certainly never got anywhere near 90 degrees. Add to this a measly 240 miles on a tank, and worse still the heater struggling to keep me warm, something had to be done!

Ordered the thermostat from TPS which arrived after a worryingly "its on back order" week and a bit!

Started the job on a Saturday morning around 10Am and to be perfectly honest it wasn’t difficult at all. I followed the instructions which in a nutshell are drain coolant, remove upper inlet manifold and then remove lower inlet manifold. At this point I was a little nervous about the fact that I could see the valve stems through the inlet ports on the engine so rapidly stuffed tissue into any hole that looked like I could drop something into!

Once this is done the 'thermostat' is visible and can be quite easily removed and replaced. It is a fairly complex affair compared to the simple circular mechanical devices you find on older cars but even so it was a fairly simple swap of a few pipes and one electrical connector.

Refitting is reversal of removal as the saying goes and carefully putting the whole lot back together was more a job of patience than anything else, double checking each hose and pipe was reconnected as it should be (yes I removed the tissue !)

Refilling the coolant system was easy too, the additional electric coolant pump making it easy to get rid of any air. All done by 2pm.

And what a difference! The engine is up to 90 within the first 2 miles and the heater works so much better - sadly the fuel economy has not altered in the slightest, but at least the heat generated from all that fuel can keep me warm now

I know a few of you have intimated that I would be breaking the car as soon as I came up against a problem that needed either time or money to fix, but I really don’t think so with this one, it’s a keeper, and has its place booked in the '8 museum collection next to the Pearl S8 (eventually!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 594.jpg
Views:	511
Size:	590.1 KB
ID:	5340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 593.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	605.7 KB
ID:	5341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 596.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	600.2 KB
ID:	5343   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 592.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	573.0 KB
ID:	5344  

2001 TT 8N 1.8T Quattro with a loud exhaust!
2000 A8 D2 3.7Q Non Sport Ming Blue
1999 A8 D2 4.2Q Non Sport Santorin Blue
2002 A6 C5 Allroad 2.5 TDi Silver with Black Leather
2001 A2 1.4 TDi
2006 A6 C6 2.4 Quattro Avant Canyon Red

At Work to Drive:

1997 S8 Pearl White Solar Roof, Electric Heated Rear Seats, Blinds, Bose, Cruise, Headlamp Wash, Ski Hatch
1998 Audi Cabriolet 2.6, Air Con, Electric Roof, Leather, Hard Top, Headlight Wash
2008 Fiesta Sportvan x2
2002 Transit 2.4 LWB
2007 VW Crafter Recovery Truck
2013 VW Caddy Highline, DAB, Heated Seats, Touch Screen Stereo, Headlamp Wash and Webasto with Telestart
2010 RS6 Daytona Grey, Twin Pane, Sunroof, Adaptive Cruise, Soft Close and some extra horses.

At Work to Hire:

4x 6 Berth Sunlight Motorhomes
Old 2nd December 2012, 04:32 PM
Director at A8 Parts

Sorry, not very good with photos, but you will see in one of the pics that the wires to the injectors are labelled with yellow tags. These are put on at the factory so that when you disconnect them you can get them back in the right place. Excellent theory, however, the guy who labelled up my engine loom got a bit carried away with the number 5 stickers and accidentally labelled both number 5 and number 6 injector wires as number 5! Consequently I had a small panic when it came it reconnecting them, luckily it was obvious from the length of wire and the shape of them which one went where.

Sometimes it is nice to see human error on something that you would expect to be so automated.....

2001 TT 8N 1.8T Quattro with a loud exhaust!
2000 A8 D2 3.7Q Non Sport Ming Blue
1999 A8 D2 4.2Q Non Sport Santorin Blue
2002 A6 C5 Allroad 2.5 TDi Silver with Black Leather
2001 A2 1.4 TDi
2006 A6 C6 2.4 Quattro Avant Canyon Red

At Work to Drive:

1997 S8 Pearl White Solar Roof, Electric Heated Rear Seats, Blinds, Bose, Cruise, Headlamp Wash, Ski Hatch
1998 Audi Cabriolet 2.6, Air Con, Electric Roof, Leather, Hard Top, Headlight Wash
2008 Fiesta Sportvan x2
2002 Transit 2.4 LWB
2007 VW Crafter Recovery Truck
2013 VW Caddy Highline, DAB, Heated Seats, Touch Screen Stereo, Headlamp Wash and Webasto with Telestart
2010 RS6 Daytona Grey, Twin Pane, Sunroof, Adaptive Cruise, Soft Close and some extra horses.

At Work to Hire:

4x 6 Berth Sunlight Motorhomes
Old 2nd December 2012, 05:59 PM

good job David! at least youll not freeze into winter now. . .
By the way you didnt keep ALL of it as a keeper - a small part of that W12 will live on my car in the form of its Calipers sometime soon hehe. Got the Bentley cover plates now and getting the Calipers painted black next. Will try and phone this week to sort out the hubs with you or carl

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 9th December 2012, 08:48 AM
Banned

I totally think that its myth that the W12 is hard to work on...every job i do on the w12 is straigh forward its easy to maintain and service ...ive just changed 1 injector on the fuel rail and also took them all off and give them a good clean up while i was there to make sure it was tikkity boo

Injector rail on

And off

Just followed this ....

Why are people affrade of the w12 ?....
Next job gut the cats ...re map and lpg
Old 15th December 2012, 09:06 PM

Good on you. LPG for sure but remap first so they can match and if needed oversize the injectors to suit :thumb: