A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 9th May 2012, 12:17 PM

4B0698471A are listed as housing seals for the A8 and it is not clear from the parts diagram if they are piston seals, but the part is also used on VW Toureg and the diagram for that looks like piston seal and dust boot, although no piston is listed as a spare part so is not on the picture.

When you get VAG piston seals, they usually come with a sachet of red marinade that you have to soak them in for a few hours before fitting, so factor in half a day or so all in all.

There are images on google image search and it looks just like a piston seal and concertinad dust boot.

Good luck!

Last edited by snapdragon; 9th May 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 9th May 2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
4B0698471A are listed as housing seals for the A8 and it is not clear from the parts diagram if they are piston seals, but the part is also used on VW Toureg and the diagram for that looks like piston seal and dust boot, although no piston is listed as a spare part so is not on the picture.

When you get VAG piston seals, they usually come with a red marinade that you have to soak them in for a few hours before fitting, so factor in half a day or so all in all.

There are images on google image search and it looks just like a piston seal and concertinad dust boot.

Good luck!
SUPER! thank you everyone. Everything I found on google suggested they were the fronts??? But, surely the front calipers have more than 1 piston

Well, fingers tightly crossed then, all I need now is a tool to open and close the rear calipers. FFS I think that Audi ahould supply these little gadgets with the car...at least then you can diy a simple pad change

Many Thanks again-I will update when I know more.

Bex

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 9th May 2012, 02:54 PM

Yes, I think you have wrong part no.
471 seem to be for fronts.
Rears are :
19 3D0698671 set of seals for brake caliper housing £11.

Last edited by snapdragon; 23rd April 2020 at 08:19 AM.
Old 9th May 2012, 03:50 PM

Thank you so much! Super chuffed that I can now see the exploded diagram. I have both on order, so I'll let you know how I get on

If these seals don't come with any of that liquid mentioned, does that mean they dont need soaking???

Bex

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 9th May 2012, 03:57 PM

Yep.. just make sure they've got a decent grease on them to stop them drying out.

I know.. I know..

Old 9th May 2012, 05:04 PM

Not sure if VCDS can deactivate the rear calipers, it possibly can. Anyhow before I had VCDS I bought one of these pieces of kit of the bay of flees for deactivating the rear calipers, it actually does what it says on the box and will clear EPB fault codes

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 9th May 2012, 05:16 PM

VCDS certianly does operate the rear calipers The procedure is on the ross-tech wiki somewhere. Used it when I did my (now on ebay!) PF

I know.. I know..

Old 9th May 2012, 06:23 PM

That's the tool I'm after. I don't have VCDS so will just get a cheap caliper tool

Old 9th May 2012, 08:53 PM

There are also VAS5054 tools on fleabay for under 100 quid, not sure how much use they are, but that's the one for all the guided stuff in elsawin..

I know.. I know..

Old 9th May 2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8L Chick View Post
That's the tool I'm after. I don't have VCDS so will just get a cheap caliper tool
If you didn't stay at the other end of the world you could have borrowed mine

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro