A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 17th October 2013, 07:30 AM

Oh dear, some fault codes and error messages don't clear until you do that adaptation, that's why I recommended it. It is weird you had the code already and it worked. When you have time, pull the connectors, it's a simple enough job.
One of mine was full of water and corroded because Audi did a warranty replacement of the connector for the previous owner and it wasn't even sealed with a boot. This caused different error codes though, but maybe you have this combined with the original one?

I think you have to take off the motor to wind it.

https://sites.google.com/site/1810ma...ric-park-brake
Old 17th October 2013, 01:46 PM

Cheers, should be able to have a look over the weekend. In the meantime, battery is on trickle-charge - tried to order the new ECU today but everyone's still closed for EID over here, won't be open again until Sunday.

2005 A8L W12 Almond Beige
2008 Jaguar XK Convertible
1971 Jensen Interceptor II (soon to be Mendip Blue)
Old 20th October 2013, 05:14 AM

Further regarding the EPB function test, the Ross-Tech wiki says -

Quote:
When replacing this Control Module it is necessary to perform the Basic Settings Function Test (MVB 010) and Longitudinal Acceleration Sensor (MVB 020) first. This sets a Readiness Bit for each of the Basic Settings, Coding will not be accepted without having done this first!
Clearly, with a non-functioning EPB, this is impossible! This would seem to suggest that replacing the controller would be a waste of time as, without the "readiness bits" being set, it wouldn't code properly?

Last edited by Stuarta; 20th October 2013 at 05:38 AM. Reason: fixing "quotes"
Old 31st October 2013, 05:30 AM

Well - I had temporary success after the battery went flat when I left my VCDS cable plugged in - all alarms were still there on startup but disappeared after driving 50 yards or so! Unfortunately, they came back almost exactly 24 hours later.

Having exhausted my limited talents, I resorted to visiting a highly recommended independent garage who confirmed that the EEPROM in the controller was toast - hence why adapting the pad thickness etc had no effect. Controller now replaced and all is good - finally!

Unfortunately, he also noticed that the bushes are pretty much knackered on the front control arms so I'm not finished yet.......

Thanks to all for their help.

Old 11th August 2014, 05:47 PM

I have had a very annoying experience recently with the electric parking brake! I had it read with VagCom which state signal implausible and that the brake pad thickness was not set, so of course this gave me an error code. However there was not a single problem with the car and wouldn't of been aware the thickness was missing if it didn't 't get plugged in! However I foolishly took it to main dealer for a few issues and when I was ready to leave not only did they not fix a single thing but my handbrake no longer worked on or off and was continually flashing... Considering how I used it for the ten weeks I've owned the car but now it 's been with you for four hours it no longer works.

They collected the car and at the end of the first day they called me telling me my handbrake module has failed and they were happy to replace it and collect 30 percent of the cost if I collect the other 70 percent! Assuming foolishly that they knew what they were doing, I paid £261 for them to swap it over. Yes the handbrake now works again but the service clerk told me that it was a bugger to code to the car? This had me thinking... Competence! If there was nothing wrong with mine when I brought it in yet it didn't 't work four hours later, did they try to enter the brake pad thickness and messed up wiping the information altogether, and when they couldn't code it the first couple if times simply wrote it off to the fact it didn't code and I brought it to them with a handbrake fault code. But if when they had a brand new out of the box fitted and still struggle I'm wondering if they just kept going knowing it couldn't have been the part at fault, and if that is the case was there really anything wrong with my handbrake module? I'm beginning to think not! Anyone else who knows more than me wish to comment and pass their opinions?

Oh yeah where does the handbrake module live ?

Regards, Mark.

Model: MY 2008 08 3.0TDI Quattro Sport, Black on Black (Transporter Edition) Lowered 60mm on drop link bars. Alloys swapped out to RS6 style 20" x 9.5". It's got full tints on all windows, and has the black leather interior. Remapped by Elite Automotive in Cornwall, giving an increase output to 290bhp/450lbs.

Options: Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth Hands Free, Quad Zone Climate, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons.

Future Plans:
Selling my current Audi A8 Quattro Sport and replace is with a newer D4 Audi A8L with the 4.2V8 Twin Turbo setup once again it must be black. I'm looking for one with the options added where it has the rear recliing seats, with heated outers. Bose speakers minimum and B&O's if affordable. Rear and back door sun blinds prefered.

Planned Mods:
Upon the arrival of my A8L D4, I will be once again having the ECU remapped to a performance setting over economy. Rear Tints as dark as can go whilst also tinting the front windows with a medium tint. Once again I will be purchasing lowering links for the air ride suspension and setting it at 55mm lower when in comfort as my desire rideheight over standard. Alloys will be 21" however the one current most likly to be the next car already has a brand new set of 2016 S8Plus wheels on it.

My Business: "The Transporter - Cornwall" find us on Facebook or download the Smart phone application by clicking the link below. http://TheTransporter.appsme.com
Old 12th August 2014, 10:12 AM

Hi Mark

I can find the location for you a bit later, just need to finish some office work and will pop in to the house and find it for you.

Bugger to code, WTF, are they FIAT dealers or Audi??
This makes me think that not only there was nothing wrong with your EPB or module before you dropped the car off, but for sure they f***ed it up, possibly the module as well thats why they had to replace one. Mother*****rs

Your best call was to ask for the old one, then swap it back over and scan it and see if it is really dead. It might be just a very bad luck, but honestly I don't think so.
Even if you call them to see if they still got it I'm sure they will tell you that it's in the bin already or any other b***x

Have they at least sorted the pad thickness error??
If not it still can be done as long you can measure accurately the current thickness.

As mentioned in my Private Message (right top corner, click Private Messages) your the best possible investment is VCDS cable for £263. with Audi stealers charges you will get your money back within first or two visits which you would normally make without the cable.
I did include the link in my message so do not hesitate and buy one ASAP.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 12th August 2014, 10:30 AM

I think dealers keep their fault kit for a while cause they have to send them all back to HQ.

Contact them and see if you have YOUR fault unit back and we add it to the list of things to look at when you're over?
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 12th August 2014, 10:53 AM

My mate runs a BMW dealership and hates the new fault finding systems.. Their mechanic may know exactly what the fault is, but unless they follow the whole procedure, they don't get paid, hence why money keeps getting thrown at your car but fixes nothing

I know.. I know..

Old 12th August 2014, 11:17 AM

All box swappers now.

If they can't bolt a new part on and plug the computer in, they can't fix it.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 12th August 2014, 04:13 PM

EPB control unit location

In the boot on the right where the battery is, closer to the tail light I think or behind the battery-all just a guess but location is correct as per attached picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EPB.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	8734  

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten