A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D4 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 3rd August 2016, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_Swafega View Post
They've rang today, they've fitted the compressor (£1150+vat) and it's still the same, the bellow is only £38, so not the leg as they're nearly a grand I'd of thought from audi.

They're back on it 1st thing, my bill at this point is approaching £2.5k
so one has to say if they fitted the compressor and it didnt make any difference then why dont they put the old one back on and accept that they mis-diagnosed it

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 4th August 2016, 07:47 PM

Well, feel really let down by Audi:

No phone call today, so me and the Mrs called in to see them at 4pm.

Turns out the new compressor is working fine, the car maintains it's level, and has stood overnight and is still level.

BUT

The diagnostic still throws an error 'cos the accumulator never gets up to pressure. They won't release the car in that state, as, if there's still a leak the pump could burn itself out(again?).

They're ordering a replacement accumulator, and they're on back order, 7-10 days

Can't give any estimate on completion, have no courtesy car with a tow bar.

Spoke to the guy now working on it, and no leaks have been actually found yet. Seems like they're just following the flow-chart of fault finding, replacing whole parts as they go.

It's back in the workshop in the morning, for one last look with a fresh pair f eyes, but they didn't sound hopeful.

The annoying thing is, i only authorized the repair because i was guaranteed it would be ready for tomorrow. And that was the basis of the whole saga.

Meanwhile my ferry crossing is Saturday morning at Portsmouth.

Now to find a car to borrow.....
Old 4th August 2016, 08:10 PM

This is like déjà vu. D4, impending driving holiday, Audi main dealer playing silly beggars...

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=11464

So sorry to hear of your predicament. Hope it gets sorted soon.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 5th August 2016, 12:18 PM

Really sorry to hear of such poor service. The Accumulator is just a small pressure tank, I'd be surprised if it has just suddenly started leaking.
It might make more sense to get it pressure tested, it wouldnt be difficult to do.
I would also have a wander around their used car stock, there would surely be something there with a towbar fitted that they could lend you.
Old 14th August 2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_Swafega View Post
Well, feel really let down by Audi:

No phone call today, so me and the Mrs called in to see them at 4pm.

Turns out the new compressor is working fine, the car maintains it's level, and has stood overnight and is still level.

BUT

The diagnostic still throws an error 'cos the accumulator never gets up to pressure. They won't release the car in that state, as, if there's still a leak the pump could burn itself out(again?).

They're ordering a replacement accumulator, and they're on back order, 7-10 days

Can't give any estimate on completion, have no courtesy car with a tow bar.

Spoke to the guy now working on it, and no leaks have been actually found yet. Seems like they're just following the flow-chart of fault finding, replacing whole parts as they go.

It's back in the workshop in the morning, for one last look with a fresh pair f eyes, but they didn't sound hopeful.

The annoying thing is, i only authorized the repair because i was guaranteed it would be ready for tomorrow. And that was the basis of the whole saga.

Meanwhile my ferry crossing is Saturday morning at Portsmouth.

Now to find a car to borrow.....
they are messing around with you. they put new compressor but error still shows up so that means old unit is goood and fault is somewhere else, and for them to say it was up after night, it is just lies so you will have to pay for new compressor. bloody useless these audi dealers lately.
Old 2nd September 2016, 08:06 PM

Well, back off holiday on Monday, arrived home late, after loaning a Discovery from a friend for a few weeks.

Went to Audi,

they've replaced the compressor and the accumulator, apparently the accumulator has a valve in the neck that was faulty.

they haven't charged for the accumulator or additional labour, but the bill stood at £2.4k, including a tyre they found a bleb on.

after lots of moaning, shouting, arguing, got the bill reduced to £2k, paid & left.

i'll put that one down to experience, and hope she runs well for the next few years.

it's lovely getting out of a discovery and back in the A8 i must say
Old 27th May 2019, 03:45 PM

Well, here's an update, and any advice appreciated....

since i had all the trouble, the fault code has never really gone away, though the car has behaved. If i didn't plug in, i'd never had known of a fault.

over the last couple of years i've replaced all the residual pressure valves on the legs, and the fault remained, but didn't come back immediately after being cleared. prior to doing the valves, it came back with a ride around the block.

anyway, today, had a ride into sheffield, suspension lights all came on, front end visually low, though rear ok....this time.

i could hear air escaping from the front left, so jacked and removed wheel finding air exhausting from the bottom of the strut and fluid all over the floor (looks like water).

it appears i need a new strut

looking on aliexpress/ebay/etka etc my running gear is "1BK" requiring a front strut "4H0616039AD" which was superseded with "4H0616039AK" then "4H0616039AP".

the aliexpress/ebay china ones appear to cover my running gear and the "2MA" & "2MB" running gear looking at the part numbers.

so, can i fit an "4H0616039AF" or a "4H0616039T"??

can i fit a "4g0616039" from an A6/7?

would you fit the china ones? would you do the pair? can mine be repaired easily??

cheers guys

Albert

Last edited by Albert_Swafega; 27th May 2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 22nd July 2019, 05:58 PM

Why don't you buy an extended warranty from Audi UK for the same price as the air suspension strut which will cover the car for a whole year.

Only drawback is that you cannot make a claim within the 1st month of buying the policy.

Check it out and read their T&C booklet carefully

https://insurewithaudi.co.uk/extended-warranty/

Currently:
2015 Audi A8 4H Sport Executive Quattro in Monsoon Grey
Old 29th July 2019, 01:56 PM

In the end i replaced the failed leg with one from a scrappers,

it's never missed a beat since.

the fault that had been there since i'd bought it has now never returned either.

C1047 07 [008] - Mechanical Failure

so if anyone else gets that code, your front left leg is on its way out!!

Albert